Munjac

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
How big is he?

I keep on seeing this fox sized animal hanging round the woods at the start of the village

but I cant see whether it is a fox or a muntjac

I assume the latter as I know a muntjac is in the vicinity...one keeps on eating the flowers in the cemetry

courtney

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2011
near rugby
we have a few around where i live (a small village) my brother had a small acitdent a few months back jus on the outskirts of our nearest small town where a muntjac ran across the road (40 mph limit) and smash up his bonet and light pretty bad, as you can imagine the poor muntjac was no more.. so id say if there is an area new by that they live you could see then any where even crossing a road in town. since then my brother is allways on look out just incase.

tasum

Forager
Mar 3, 2011
Leeds, UK
Best way to identify is to use some binos if you have them.

I know that foxes eyes look different at night to deer, but you probably don't want to be lamping at night.

Are you wanting to get rid of it or just curious?

If curious you can set up a trail camera, but they're expensive.

A cheap pair of binos, a flask and the investment of a couple of eves out should allow you to identify it.

I don't believe that foxes would scoff the cemetery flowers, but they're a law unto themselves so I wouldn't 100% rule it out, but I'd say it's unlikely.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
They are about the size of a largish dog and when they run their short tail goes upright to reveal a tuft of whitish fur which is the last thing you see before they melt into the countryside.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
`Largish dog` dosent say much, does it?

we all know what size a fox is....it seems to be a similar shade too. (as opposed to our local Roe deer who are dull brown)

It likes to come to a grassed area in amungst the first village streets. Horse chestnut trees there and deer love conkers

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
munjac are a pain in the aris' lol i've read somewhere the meat is very tasty.
they have a loud bark which they use as a warning call etc hence their name in china is barking deer.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
munjac are a pain in the aris' lol i've read somewhere the meat is very tasty.
they have a loud bark which they use as a warning call etc hence their name in china is barking deer.

I am a friend of a friend of a gamekeeper and get given loads of munjac and it is indeed really tasty

Alex

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
`Largish dog` dosent say much, does it?

What do you want me to do, run after one with a tape measure?? I would say they are normally bigger than a fox so largish dog is about the size they seem to me

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Don't go by the colour as Deer of the same species come in a variety of shades, got a mate that shoots and is always telling me Muntjac are the ones to eat along with Chinese Water Deer, he hasn't seen either where we are so have to settle for Roe and Fallow. Ho hum!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, well, if you said, `cat` or `fox` or `rabbit` or heaven forbid `donkey` I would know...

Its an absolute terror in the cemetry, as you can imagine.

But I imagine the local florists are rather fond of it.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
If you want to see.... or even hunt munjack, now is pretty much the ideal time.... They adore bluebells, or their roots... so where your see flower, you may just see munjac.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Muntjac are one of the nicest venisons to eat, they love flowers and are a menace where I live they get into gardens and just ruin the plants.

The only real problem shooting the deer is they breed all year round so at any time could have young so you have to sit and watch, safest is the pregnant does but it doesn't sit well with many shooting people.

Size wise I would say around the size of a labrador.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE