msr whisperlite fuel

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
What fuel do people use? i've heard of unleaded fuel, white spirits, kerosene etc. What do uyou use and where could i get some by friday?

cheers

Nathan

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
a lot of camping shops sell coleman fuel which will work fine. Not the cheapest but probably the most available (other than unleaded)

coleman%20fuel%20-200.jpg

It's what I use in my whisperlite as I've not got my hands on any Aspen 4t yet which is a lot cheaper. Aspen link may have a local stockist.

Cheers,

Alan

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i might be a fool, but i just buy the fuel in a tin bottle from camping shops on the off chance that it will keep the jets alive for the max amount of time, with proper cleaning etc.
There must be a Millets or whatever in Southend, grab a bottle or two from there :)

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
Aspen 4T
Failing that Panel Wipe from a local Auto Paints supplier burns very cleanly too :) Comes in 5 Litre cans and doesn't wiff like petrol does either...

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
thanks for all of the help guys, i'l keep my eyes open for some panel wipe or the coleman fuel, unfortunately i work 8:30 till % so i ten to miss any chance of getting to the shops and i leave straight after work on Friday, so it looks like it's back to the trusty old trangia!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Have you got the jet for parafin? (marked with a 'K' IIRC) - I've used it in my whisperlite, and while not as hot as colemans, it does seem to last a lot longer on a fill - may be worth considering if you have to carry all your fuel - and it's available in B&Q type places that open late (usually in the gardening section for greenhouse heaters ;))

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Aspen 4T and Panel Wipe are ideal instead of Coleman fuel. The Aspen (make sure you get 4T and not two stroke 2T) is the same as Coleman, refined Naptha fuel, stockists here

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-Stockists

The use of this type of fuel is popular in Norway and Sweden, certainly amongst many of my fellow stove collectors who live there, this was backed up in a conversation I had with a guy at AAOIL who said he also used it in stoves back home in Norway and that the company are now trying to get one or two of the big camping chains in the UK to stock (they also sell 1lt bottles) this fuel.

For those of you travelling abroad, this list of fuel names is worth noting

http://fuel.papo-art.com/#tableoffuelnames

Please do NOT use unleaded, it will clog your stove or lantern, but more important is the really very NASTY fumes from the additives that you don't want going into your system

It seems really crazy to drive a round trip of 40 miles or so for me to pick up aspen from my nearest stockist so I went to buy panel wipe from my local automotive factors. The only problem was that he could not tell me nor could the 5 litre tin say whether this was petroleum based panel wipe so what I'm looking for is Brand names to look out for so that I know is ok to use in my whisperlite.

Any info would be a great help.

WS

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Have you got the jet for parafin? (marked with a 'K' IIRC) - I've used it in my whisperlite, and while not as hot as colemans, it does seem to last a lot longer on a fill - may be worth considering if you have to carry all your fuel - and it's available in B&Q type places that open late (usually in the gardening section for greenhouse heaters ;))

my dragonfly runs on kerosene and diesel through this jet, but I avoid it at all costs because it gets gummed up quick on either (diesel more than paraffin).

I'd just go for ordinary petrol (unleaded) I've never had any problems and it's easy to get hold of - and relatively cheap.

I'd like to see if it'll run on meths though, just out of curiosity.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pleaes, please, please, don't burn unlead for reasons I mentioned earlier. Come over to the stove collectors site and ask about it, trust me they will say the same as me and these are people from all over the world, its not just my opinion, its fact. Optimus and Primus both talk about not using unleaded in their instruction leaflets and don't use diesel unless its a last hope situation because your stove will just gum up.

Any generic panel wipe should do or there is some on ebay which will cost you a little more but it works out at £3.80 per LITRE compared to £12 per litre for Coleman. Five litres will give you many trips of cooking.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360119334880

The is where I hang out most, and trust me, these people (and to be honest, and not modest, me) have a lot more experience than 99% of BCUK members, no offence meant. I don't dispute the opinions of the hammock experts, or the knife experts, or the leather experts here, I listen to them, well, in this case, I'm the stove man;)

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/fusionbb.php?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`m not disputing what you say Richard as I know you are the stove guru on here and the guys on the stove site certainly know their stuff too, but my gripe is why do retailers clearly say unleaded can be used.
I`ve just looked at the MSR site and they don`t mention it anymore, I`m sure when I bought mine about 6 years ago it was definitely listed as a recomended fuel. One of the reasons I bought it was because of the unleaded factor after having a Coleman 442 nicked previously. I`ve got a magazine review somewhere aswell which they used unleaded in their field test when it wa first launched. It was this review which swayed me from getting another Coleman.
Apart from the nasty fumes what other issues are there, has the unleaded got so many impurities in it that it cloggs up the stove ? To be fair I`ve not used mine so much over the last few years so I can`t remember what sort of state it`s in.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
same goes, not disputing what you've said, just what I use. I've not had any problems with petrol, diesel's a whole different matter - horrible stuff (even though msr said it could be used).

I'd go with what you said if I could afford over £3/ltr, unfortunately I can't.

Out of interest, would meth's burn ok in an msr? would it burn better than unleaded?

strange - that's three Richards in a line!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
same goes, not disputing what you've said, just what I use. I've not had any problems with petrol, diesel's a whole different matter - horrible stuff (even though msr said it could be used).

I'd go with what you said if I could afford over £3/ltr, unfortunately I can't.

Out of interest, would meth's burn ok in an msr? would it burn better than unleaded?

strange - that's three Richards in a line!

DON'T use meths, some pressure stoves will use it like the Optimus 111T but not many others without mods.

The fumes and toxins off unleaded travel well even when you think your safe outdoors, your not, save the money and please get safer fuel. Your stove will mess up in the end, trust me.

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
It seems really crazy to drive a round trip of 40 miles or so for me to pick up aspen from my nearest stockist so I went to buy panel wipe from my local automotive factors. The only problem was that he could not tell me nor could the 5 litre tin say whether this was petroleum based panel wipe so what I'm looking for is Brand names to look out for so that I know is ok to use in my whisperlite.

Any info would be a great help.

WS

The stuff I've used is branded SWS Product Code S140
Stated as being Naphtha/Petroleum based...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE