MSR Pocket Rocket

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
What's the difference between the above and the wee ones i already have?

I've never tried a pocket rocket so far, are they worth adding to the ones I have?

I don't bother with boil times as a rule.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Dunno what you already have, but the Pocket Rocket is great little stove, described by some as a mini flamethrower. Easy to use, and control, and chucks out heat. Not very stable, but that's true of most small stoves. Packed up it fits inside a Titan kettle (just).

I like mine very much, either as a back up, or for when my woodburner isn't appropriate.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Think it's an old bluet mini and another I can't remember the make.

I've got one of those 'folding feet' for the base of the gas canisters.

Just wondering if it's the best of the rest.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Barn Owl,

I use the Pocket Rocket quite a bit, mostly during hunting to make a hot lunch. I had to get the "folding feet" too. It does fold down to a small size and fits inside a small triangular plastic case. I was in a backpacking shop this week and there are a good handfull of similar models out now, made by different companys. The ones you have are just as functional, more llikely than not. However, if you have the extra cash, you can't have enough stoves.

Gordy

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I love mine, It's so much smaller in a rucksack than my Dragonfly stove (which i sold a while back because of that) I can fit a gas canister, pot lifter and stove inside a billy can.

Very controllable heat wise and a very fast boil time. For the price i think it's unbeatable

Could someone point me in the direction of these "folding feet"? might be worth a look at

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I've had MSR pocket rocket for 10 years (time flies, damn) never had a problem, used it quite a bit in that time always as my main stove, crusdaer and mess tins a bit wobbly, take a bit more time setting up on solid ground, Usualy have a 500 canister, easily lit and otherwise all good.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have one, they are good for heating water and small pots of fluid but the flame comes out in one tight spot so i woudnt use them cooking anything delicate, there is one out there exactly the same but half the price made by someone other than msr, i also jave the msr titnium cup and kettle to go with it, which all make a good set up together

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Msr are excellent kit but very expensive,Gelert do an identical stove for a tenner.The heat output is slightly lower but only slightly.I had a pocket rocket but changed to a primus micron as it folds up smaller and gives the same output but is more controlable.Generally most micro/lightweight stoves are best used as water boilers as the heat source is in too small an area for slow cooking.There isn't a great deal of difference between the top makes and the cheaper end of the market so personal feelings will play a big part in deciding.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sapper summed it up well, narrow flame spread can lead to burning especially if you use Titanium pots which are poor at spreading heat, cheaper clones are on the market so look around and save yourself a few quid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE