Mora modding question...

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi all,

Im sure i saw a thread a while ago but cant seem to find it anywhere, can anyone tell me or direct me to a thread that gives details on how to remove the handle of a mora companion and then rehandle it with wooden scales?

Atb, Hamster

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I cannot find a thread about this instant, but I do it simply: With an old knife I baton the handle off. First make sure the blade is taped up, then put the your "battoning-knife" at the bolster and give it a few good wacks. Then you have a stick-tang blade left that you can put a handle on. There are a few tutorials on handling sticktangs around. I`ll see what I can find.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Thanks for these links I have a cheap Mora work knife that I want to re handle, I was going to try and shatter the plastic with a lump hammer, this looks far neater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
You really are better off buying a blade designed for this kind of handle you know. You get a better choice of materials to put on it as the tang will be longer and you can shorten it if you need to.

I have rehandled some mora knives but mostly only because of damage (not by me) I have rehandled one I got cheap with a wooden handle I didnt like but that had a long tang.

Just my opinion of course.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You really are better off buying a blade designed for this kind of handle you know. You get a better choice of materials to put on it as the tang will be longer and you can shorten it if you need to.

I have rehandled some mora knives but mostly only because of damage (not by me) I have rehandled one I got cheap with a wooden handle I didnt like but that had a long tang.

Just my opinion of course.

Seems pointless to buy a blade when one already resides in an unsightly plastic handle.. that is easy to remove, I might add.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Seems pointless to buy a blade when one already resides in an unsightly plastic handle.. that is easy to remove, I might add.

Not really the original knife will still be there to use and the blade may not offer what is wanted when romove from the plastic.

Here is a mora 780 blade after one of our scout broke the handle the wooden handled knife has a tang the length of the handle though

Mora 780 blade by alf.branch, on Flickr

Here it is after

Broken Mora handle sheath 4 by alf.branch, on Flickr

A blade can be bought for £10 plus postage (there are other suppliers) and a 7.5cm blade is cheaper.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/karesuando-105cm-knife-making-blade---carbon-steel-7721-p.asp

a bought blade is likely to look more like this

The blade by alf.branch, on Flickr

There is less hazard from not trying to remove the plastic handle.

If you buy a blade and bolster HERE is how to fit it.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think you're missing the point though mate. It's not about making the perfect knife, or buying stuff.

It's more of a fun project that one can get some practice from. If I wanted to make a knife from an assembley kit I'd do that, and I think HH would too.. but clearly the idea of rehandling and making use of what is already available is more desirable.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I think you're missing the point though mate. It's not about making the perfect knife, or buying stuff.

It's more of a fun project that one can get some practice from. If I wanted to make a knife from an assembley kit I'd do that, and I think HH would too.. but clearly the idea of rehandling and making use of what is already available is more desirable.

Hit the nail on the head there Samon, basically i just got a new mora heavy duty as my main working knive and wanted to do somethign a bit different to my old companion.
Im looking at using a pair of scales rather than a single piece of timber and will probably epoxy the heck out of it.
Not sure if i want to use, or can get away without, a solid bolster but will have a fiddle around and se what i can come up with, will take picks along the way and do a little test review when done! :)

Hamster

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I like the clippers.. find them a nice little knife..as many do... thought about modding mine for a while, then thought na leave it in case I bu**er it up, lol

Now I got a nice one from Ozzy, thougt I'd have a project of a seprate belt for my archery with its own knife, pouch and quiver with incorparated knife sheath... just got to get the leather to make it.. :).

To me its not about you can get better.. its about a nice project and makeing what you like yours.. :).

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hit the nail on the head there Samon, basically i just got a new mora heavy duty as my main working knive and wanted to do somethign a bit different to my old companion.
Im looking at using a pair of scales rather than a single piece of timber and will probably epoxy the heck out of it.
Not sure if i want to use, or can get away without, a solid bolster but will have a fiddle around and se what i can come up with, will take picks along the way and do a little test review when done! :)

Hamster

Ah, then what you'll need if you're gona use scales is to cut a slot in the inside of one scale for the tang to sin into and epoxy and pin it like it were a full tang. Once glued and pinned it'll look nice and will be light weight. :)

I would reccommend a dremel type tool and/or a utility blade to make the shallow for the tang, and of cdourse pen on where you need to sink the tang and gop slow enough to continuously check it's depth.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Not sure I would want somthing on my bracer, you would have to have the handle of the knife at the wrist end or it could get caught by the sring and the string would go between the handle and teh bracer...., even then the string could catch it take it out of the bracer and you then ahve a shrap object going towards your wrist.....

I know its toward the side of your arm but still a bit close for an accident for me...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE