Mocotaugan, well, maybe...

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I've been playing around with the idea of producing some crooked knives (or Mocotaugan knives) for a while, but had no idea where to start. Today I got an attack of the "Sod it, why not just get some metal hot, hit it for a while, and see what occurs..."

What did occur was this.

set3.jpg

set4.jpg

The blade is roughly 120mm long and 10mm wide. Thickness is roughly 3mm. Handle is antler and thick buffalo veg tan for all the sanded off bits and the bolster - if you could call it that!

I've made it right handed, which in itself is weird as I'm left handed, but going with the majority, I'm guessing that right handed is going to go better than left, at least for now. The bevel is on the inside. I'll probably play with external bevels and left handed use in the future.

Right, first off, I'm no woodworker. I've tried it several times and all I've ever produced was an overwhelming desire to buy a woodburner, a dream realised by EID when she was asked, once only, to comment on my efforts!

I've pulled it through a bit of seasoned ash and it performed as well as could be expected for a sinister using a right handed tool!

So then I thought, "Why not pair it up with a Sloyd type knife?" And this was born.

set1.jpg

set2.jpg

I'll work out some form of clothing for them later, but what you you guys think?

Worth the effort?

As usual, all and any comments, suggestions, requests, donations, etc, to the usual address.

Time for my meds

Coming, nurse...

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I think the leatherwork is going to be a simple sleeve affair for the bent one and a simple blade cover for the sloyd. Possibly stick the lot in a drawstring leather bag...

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I was wondering about that length, it didn't 'feel' right. I think I'll reduce it a bit, possibly 100mm?

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
OK, guys, next bit...

I've reprofiled the blades a bit and now they feel much better!

set5.jpg

And sorted out some charity shop clothing for them

set6.jpg

And now they all travel together in this tool roll type thingy!!!

set7.jpg

As I said before, I'm no woodworker! What I really need now is for someone to offer these poor demented things a new home to use, abuse and otherwise put them through their paces!

Any takers?

Last edited:

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I suppose I should have explained myself a bit better regarding re-homing these blades!

First off, this is not a sales thread.

Is there a woodworker out there who could give these tools a good thrashing to see how they behave? What do I need to change?

Incidentally, these are still for sale. (Talking of sales threads!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE