Mice / Other rodents behind barge boards

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
We've got rodenty noises (Chewing mostly) coming from behind the barge boards on my timber extension. I'm planning to close up all the rest of the remaining gaps tomorrow (yes, I've seen the weather forecast)

Now, the thing I'm wondering is this.

Would it be more humane to direct a load of smoke from a plumbers smoke bomb into the space before I seal it all up, then follow up with a good dose of poison, just in case, rather than simply walling them in with the poison (I want 'em away, or dead. Walled up and still alive isn't how I want to leave this)

I'm thinking a hose onto an empty paint tin, containing the smoke bombs, and give it a good 10 minutes of smoke before I block up the holes with cement.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I would put poison down now & leave the closing of the gaps until a later date when they have gone. If you close them in they will only chew/dig their way out. I have no idea how effective a smoke bomb will be. But you are not going to get rid of mice or rats by tomorrow morning.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Some years back, before we moved house, I had a shed I built in the rear garden, I smashed loads of glass and spread it about beneath the shed.
My neighbours also had sheds which had rats nesting in them, I didn't have any, had them come in the garden, shot hundreds over the years, never seen rats go near broken glass, their paws are their digging tools.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
With any luck they'll take the poison back to the nest and feed it to the family thus eradicating the problem. I'd be inclined to leave some traps out too if possible

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Get some poison down now. Rats breed fast. With luck they will crawl off elsewhere to die. If you find any bodies, burn or bury. Traps may catch one or two, but not enough or fast enough. Gassing is a job best left to professionals. Set a few traps by all means - but rats take time to get used to traps and will avoid them to start with. Second generation anticoagulant (Slaymore or the like rather than Warfarin as some rats are now immune) woeks best. Put it in a bait box to save ingestion by non target species (you can make them or buy them). Take the bargeboards off if necessary.

You really don't want rodents in your wiring. Get shot - fast.

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Nick- Craig (CRB) has ferrets, or at least access to them- he brought them to a meet and we got a rabbit for the pot.

Good luck, I'm fed up with the mice in my garage!!!

KP

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Our terrier is a bit of a scavenger, if he eats a carcass after its been poisoned........

Should I take him into the vet for prophylactic vitamin K?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You could try a petrol strimmer with a hose attached to the exhaust and a generous amount of 2 stroke oil in the mix. Stick the hose down the hole and rev up. Have your terrier on standby.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Our terrier is a bit of a scavenger, if he eats a carcass after its been poisoned........

Should I take him into the vet for prophylactic vitamin K?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Nope, single dose isn't fatal - has to be repeatedly ingested. I would get the vet to check him over if he easts a carcass but certainly not prophylactically

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You could try a petrol strimmer with a hose attached to the exhaust and a generous amount of 2 stroke oil in the mix. Stick the hose down the hole and rev up. Have your terrier on standby.

Chainsaws work too - but I'm not sure I would run carbon monoxide into my own house! Outside in a rat run sure

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
For rats I always use a Fenn mk4 and blue bounty bar squished on the treadle. Never, ever fails! Was recommended to me a professional pest controller friend.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE