Micarta/Corian

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
No.

Micarta is many layers of (usually) linen that have been soaked in epoxy and dried under pressue (and I believe a vacuum also). Sometimes canvas or even paper are used. Change the material and you get a different look entirely.

Corian is a solid material. Not layered. It is a DuPont product and is used for countertops, cutting surfaces, etc.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
No.

Micarta is many layers of (usually) linen that have been soaked in epoxy and dried under pressue (and I believe a vacuum also). Sometimes canvas or even paper are used. Change the material and you get a different look entirely.

Corian is a solid material. Not layered. It is a DuPont product and is used for countertops, cutting surfaces, etc.

So, is one better than the other for a knife handle?

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm kind of intrigued by this whole micarta thing.
But I'm also a bit disappointed by it.
Maybe I'm being a git (a wholly likely possibility).
But I have two problems with micarta - one's practical and one's...well...spiritual (re cliched).
On a practical level, isn't it just easier to use wood?
On a more 'spiritual' level (if 'spiritual' is the right word), doesn't it miss the point? I admit it may be a bit 'bushcraft uniform' of me, but isn't micarta an artificial 'plastic' construct? A bit against the whole 'bushcraft' ethos? I am almost certainly dealing in stereotypes, but micarta seems to suit the 'tactical/survival' outlook.
Odd, because I kind of like the look of (some) micarta bits. But I couldn't be bothered with it.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
As to which one is "better" I cannot say. The Corian is a completely synthetic material, while the Micarta is partly synthetic and partly natural. (glue -- linen).

If you want a smooth texture, Corian is probably best, but paper Micarta is smooth also. If you want a rougher finish that provides a better wet grip, then linen or canvas Micarta.

I'm a bit like Durulz in that I prefer wood, or at least the looks of wood. That said, there is probably no wood that would be as serviceable as Micarta. The likelihood of Micarta breaking is considerably less than wood.

I once had a horn handled knife that my mother tossed into the kitchen sink to wash for me, and forgot it and it laid all night in water, and puffed up and was ruined.

I'm going to get a knife blank and put some micarta scales on it, just to give it a fair test, but my heart is with a nicely figured piece of wood.

It is mostly a matter of asthetics. There are good hard woods like arctic birch, or bois d'arc that are practically indestructible -- but none of them are as tough as micarta / corian. For me, it all boils down to how does it look and feel, and would it be likely to fail on me? Just follow your bliss.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I don't really like working micarta even though I've only used it once. It stinks when sanding and is harder to work than the woods I've used. Saying that I really like the way it looks finished and it'll stand up to anything without letting water in.

I've been given a pair of Corian scales, I've yet to use them but I'm looking forward to trying it. It should look nice when finished but for toughness my money is on the micarta. I'm not sure how the corian will stand up, it looks like it might be a bit fragile if you were to drop it on a hard surface but I wouldn't know from personal experience...

Like most things it's all personal preferance, but I reckon anything is worth a shot. I like to try different things and draw my own conclusions, even though micarta is pants to work with it's bulletproof and that's a good thing on a tool that can be dropped and battered. Just my two cents but I'd say micarta is better for knife scales:umbrella:

I'm sure many will disagree though! Just my opinion...

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ivory?:lmao:Brisa do camel bone, pet shops sell big bones near me for £1.30, don't be put off corian because of what I said, have a go and see what you think. I really like the look of corian finished, I've just heard it's not as strong as other materials...If you can't find bone near you let me know and I'll grab you one next time I'm at the pet shop.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have no personal experience with Corian so it is a dangerous thing for me to make very many comments about it. But, having said that, bear in mind that it was originally meant for counter tops. Counter tops have to be tough, people drop large cans of food out of cabinets onto their counter tops, and they have to be able to survive those falls. Also it can't stain every time something gets spilled on it, or people wouldn't buy it. Plus, since it is also used for cutting boards, it can't cut and scratch easily or the cutting board would look hideous in a few days. So, based on that, I have to think it is pretty good stuff. Of course I could be completely wrong!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE