Meths Stove 2 ways {Pic Heavy}

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Some of you will have seen my meths stove made from an aluminium beer bottle in the style of bud light and white box type stoves. The only drawback with this type of stove is that its a side burner and the flame pattern is quite wide. This gives me problems if i just want to brew up in a normal cup so today i set about making an adapter to turn it into a top burner. Im really happy with the results and it gives the stove much more flexibility

case: Made from a neoprene lens pouch available in pound shops and has a handy caribiner

7b75f139.jpg

Original stove on the right and the adapter on the left. The adapter is made from the bottom of another bottle which has been flared to fit over with a tight friction fit. I put a rivnut through the center to enable a little pressurisation when fitted. 8 jets were drill facing inwards. The depth of the adapter must be long enough to cover the side jets

dae972f4.jpg

In use as a standard stove

bfe7ec69.jpg

Ready to roll in the top burning mode

6584d304.jpg

Pot stand and windscreen added - Stainless mesh - none of that nasty zinc stuff ta very much

2c9cad2f.jpg

Cooking up a storm

c53c517b.jpg

Very happy with it and boil times not too dissimilar but who cares how long it takes to boil 500ml of water lol

Cheers
Paul

Edit: thought id posted this in DIY so apologies. Hopefully a friendly mod will move it across

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Do you think it would work with a shop bought whitebox stove? Also where did you get the bottle it came from? You said you flared it out, does that mean you took the same sized aluminium bottle as the stove and made it wider? I like the WBS but always wanted an inwards or upwards burning version. This looks good option.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Do you think it would work with a shop bought whitebox stove? Also where did you get the bottle it came from? You said you flared it out, does that mean you took the same sized aluminium bottle as the stove and made it wider? I like the WBS but always wanted an inwards or upwards burning version. This looks good option.

bottle is press 81 cider but they are hard to track down. my brother in law works on the bins and they turn up from time to time. Im not sure what a white box stove is made from. ideally you will need the same bottle to make the adapter from. it will definately work if you have the right bottle. Flaring is done exactly as you describe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE