Messing around with candles

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I had a lot of work to get done today so my mind naturally sought out distractions to keep me from starting it. I ended up playing with some shotgun shells, stainless mesh and some kevlar string and cam up with this, my take on the Davey Lamp

Its not wind proof yet but im pondering how i might incorporate some protection.

folded down

5a1f63d2.jpg

Extended and lit

cc330416.jpg

Close up

ea24ee99.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cheers guys, I doubt it will ever see production. Its a bit of a faff as i used the wick from a tea light and filled the bottom with molten wax before sinking the mesh in. Burned for about 1 hr 30 (indoors). Ive been looking for 15mm diameter candles but cant seem to find any. I might try and make an oil lamp next :D.

Last edited:

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Great idea ! Would using finer mesh help with making it windproof ? It would affect the brightness & oxygen for the flame but maybe you could find a happy medium? Otherwise how about a piece of a drinks can cut into a strip and fitted inside the cartridges (1/2 to 3/4 of the diameter) so that it could be hung with the sheet side facing the wind direction ? Just an idea.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Great idea ! Would using finer mesh help with making it windproof ? It would affect the brightness & oxygen for the flame but maybe you could find a happy medium? Otherwise how about a piece of a drinks can cut into a strip and fitted inside the cartridges (1/2 to 3/4 of the diameter) so that it could be hung with the sheet side facing the wind direction ? Just an idea.

great ideas there mate. think both would be in with a shout but i need to find 15mm candles to make it work. this will leave me some space around the inside rim to slide a windscreen in rather than the way it is at the moment which is solid wax

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Paul, I really dont no if this would work and it kind of sounds stupid as I write it but what about putting enough birthday type candles in there if you cant find 5mm candles? could cut them down an wind the wicks together?
Like I say sounds silly but may work!!
cheers mate
Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi Paul, I really dont no if this would work and it kind of sounds stupid as I write it but what about putting enough birthday type candles in there if you cant find 5mm candles? could cut them down an wind the wicks together?
Like I say sounds silly but may work!!
cheers mate
Steve

I think the amount of wicks would be the issue Steve as it would make a fireball pretty quick and burn the fuel away. Good lateral thinking though mate. I will have to make some i think

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
You could put small birthday candles in there, ?cheap from the pound shop. Maybe use an empty glass ampoule bottle. you get from the chemist as a small windbraker cut into seizes. Cheers theinterceptor boy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE