Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Only planted it this winter, wasn't expecting fruit for a few years

null_zps2a1523d2.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
WOW - mine is in leaf but no fruit so far I think - is that a fruit or a flower blossom BTW?

ETA

Mine has them too - I think they are flower buds - woohoo:cool:

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting - I definitely have the same thing so I will watch it with interest - I don't recall seeing any blossom on ours ??

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is ours

Medlar Bud by British Red, on Flickr

Great to know someone else who has one. If ours fruits this year, I'll probably remove them as the branches are a bit too slender to bear fruit yet.

I'm betting a bottle of my homebrew to a bottle of yours that these are flower buds....but time will tell :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting ....I'll monitor developments with interest as I have no idea what to expect. I am amazed how late the leaves open on mulberries by comparison, a good two months later than the medlar....fun to see how they do :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Apparently they take a long time to mature....but hey, its fun. Its amazing your medlar had set fruit a month before ours flowered - I hope ours has long enough to ripen. Aaah well, time will tell, I'll probably remove any fruit this year anyway, so no problem.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Was just reading on a different forum where someone was showing off their bluebells - noticed today as I was scything the bracken that ours have all but gone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE