Medlar. Anyone want some cuttings for grafts?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
So, I have recently discovered a Medlar tree at work that is a good size.

It's not a fruit I've had before, but it is one my Dad raves about and makes jam from.

The downside is that it's an area that is going to be flattened and 'developed'. The medlar will go.

I am planning to remove it beforehand to play with the wood for carving and knife handles.

It would be nice if i can keep the tree going as they are a species not often seen.

so, doing some research and getting advice, medlar root stock is weak so it needs to be grafted onto Pear, Quince or Hawthorn. I'm thinking of attempting some guerilla gardening in hedgerows.

Further research would suggest that I should cut the Medlar sections (scions?) in december while and store them wrapped in the fridge until spring when the graft should be done.

If I can manage it, would anyone want a 'twig' sending to give it a go? No promises on the condition it would arrive or if it would work. I would be sending it pre-fridge as I doubt my wife would be too impressed with a whole tree being in there. ;)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Medlar jelly is fantastic stuff - tastes of Christmas! My wife has bought me one - could I graft your twigs onto an existing pear tree?

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Medlar jelly is fantastic stuff - tastes of Christmas! My wife has bought me one - could I graft your twigs onto an existing pear tree?

My grafting experience = 0. :D

However, I'm pretty sure that yes, you can.

You see apple trees with multiple varieties on the same stem. That's how it's done.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
You have to cut the scions in January or February while they are dormant, wrap them in just damp newspaper, put them in a plastic bag then store them cold until grafting time. The scions also have to be 1 year old wood and about the sixe and width of a pencil. When you look at the thin branches you should be able to see a bit of rough, kind of creased looking bark in a ring around the branch, each of those marks 1 years growth. My advice would be to graft onto a quince rootstock, pears aren't vigorous enough and I've never made a successful graft onto a hawthorn before.

Good luck and if you are planning to graft make sure you practice on scrap first.

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE