meat!!!! kind of...

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
if this is the wrong place then please MOD me!!

I like many, have had the original SAS survival handbook by 'lofty', given some damn good years of service, and my good lady bought me the new and updated 'ultimate' version.

In the pouch contents, dehydrated meat blocks are dsicussed as a contents idea. i have yet to find these. are they stock cubes or am i being dense? or are they spam? or jerky? your help, kind folk, would be appreciated.

the fact that they are discussed again as per original, in the updated version, indicates they are still available? they aren't in the the army rat packs, so wondered if you know what excatly they are? and how awlful they actually are in the reality.

cheers all
Rob

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Rob

I used to guess at this one too, but I think that Lofty was using it as a suggestion. As you said Jerky would be ideal or perhaps chortzio / salami that dosn't need refridgeration.

There's another one further on too :

"Even better is a heat-insulated bag of reflective material that keeps you warm and solves the condensation problem".

Back in 86 when the book came out I far as im aware there was nothing like this avalible on the civilian market. Roll on 20 years and we now have 'Blizzard Bags, Tubes and Jackets' made out of 'Reflexell' which seems to match the description well and is standard kit for MRT's and frontline medics working in the Afhgan winter.

Dont forget Lofty's background. The SF guys get to play with a lot of kit before it goes on general issue and some of it is SF issue only. A lot of civilian companies ask the military to test kit also before it goes out to the public. An MOD contract is pretty good for buisness I guess! Ed

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
cheers Ed.

good line of thought, hadn't really considered the rations could be subject to field trial samples or special issue also. the bag you mentiond also cought my attention as being a bit of a holy grail jobby.

the updated copy is ok, apart from the type errors such as stating the wall came down in 1999! lol, good reading though.
Rob

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
looking at when the book was written I would guess the meat blocks refer to pemmican. Back then you could get pemmican in foil packed blocks and the USAF packed these blocks in 'SPAM' type cans as shown on one of Ray Mears programmes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE