Mares Tail

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Hi all,
Just spent a couple of hours clearing mares tail from my dads allotment.
But it keeps coming back! Anyone know any weedkiller or chemicals that will shift it for good?
Thanks

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Some reckon that using glyphosate thickened with soap flakes and rubbed on with gloves after the plants have been "Bruised" and crushed is a good method, but from personal experience, the best way to control it is regular hoeing and hard work. the stuff needs light like any other plant after all.
You will never eradicate it as the roots go down... and down.... and down :(

Glyphosphate will work ish

There is a weedkiller that is effective bit wasn't payed to be put on the EU register so cannot be sold as weedkiller. However its avalible as a compost accelerator ;) .

Making sure you remove any shoots ASAP so the roots cannot refuel will eventually killit off .

Apparently dried it makes a passable tea

ATB
Duncan
from tapatalk phone

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Some reckon that using glyphosate thickened with soap flakes and rubbed on with gloves after the plants have been "Bruised" and crushed is a good method, but from personal experience, the best way to control it is regular hoeing and hard work. the stuff needs light like any other plant after all.

A weak solution of wall paper paste is better :)

As for eradicating it, it is possible but takes several seasons of continual work hoeing and pulling it up as Beachlover says. It's tenacious stuff and I've seen it push through asphalt. Whatever you do don't put roots on your compost heap, burn it if possible otherwise you'll just spread it more :yikes:

One of the reasons it's pretty resistant to modern weedkillers is it's an ancient plant, being around during the time of the dinosaurs.

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
A weak solution of wall paper paste is better :)

I think you are right about the wallpaper paste too. One of my neighbours on my allotments is also the groundsman at the local bowls club and while he has tried both, I do now seem to recall he preferred wallpaper paste. Either way, the bruising is important as I seem to remember the glyphosate finds it hard to get into the plant unless the surface is disrupted ;)

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
totally agree with the above ! i actually look foward to weeding them out , lol but allways pick up every tiny bit as they soon reroot like hell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE