Malaysian Jungle

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Aye Will, done a bit of time in the trees in Malayasia mate, mostly in Borneo - a whole variety of jungle, anything specific your looking to know or about area mate ??

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
The rainforest in Malaysia is one of the most inhospitable places I have been to on Earth.... and at the same time the most beautiful.

lgw01.jpg

If you can find a track then it isn't so bad, but the forest itself is just about impossible to get through. Hacking your own track is a mugs game, because you don't get very far in a day! Its also quite rare to get a view of anything distant, and even the sky is invisible much of the time.

lgw02.jpg

Down by the coast it is pure heaven, with the rainforest trees overhanging the beach. Find a freshwater stream coming down off the hills and you are made. Someone sailed a small boat into this bay.

lgw03.jpg

Lots of wildlife to see, pigs and deer were abundant, Monkeys think that anything belonging to a human is of interest. They will steal anything that you put down for a second, and if you challenge them they will face up to you. Monitor lizards are common.... they go up to around 12 feet in length. Mainly they run away if you get close, except when guarding their eggs, then they can be nasty. This is a little one about 6 feet long.

lgw05.jpg

Snakes are incredibly well camouflaged.
lgw06.jpg

When it rains.... it rains like you are standing under a waterfall.

Rod

Last edited:

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Cheers Guys.

Great pictures Rod.

Im off on the 28th bit of a quick turn around for work for a few weeks in and arround the Malacca Straits both Malaysia and to a lesser extent indonesia. Intend to stay on after the job for a few week and do a few things. I am intrested in any story place recommendation or even in country contacts if you dont mind sharing.

Cheers Will

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have done a bit round the Cameron Highlands for a few days & the jungle was great fun but you need to be with someone that really knows what they are doing. Good experience though. Hope you have fun

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Im off on the 28th bit of a quick turn around for work for a few weeks in and arround the Malacca Straits both Malaysia and to a lesser extent indonesia. Intend to stay on after the job for a few week and do a few things. I am intrested in any story place recommendation or even in country contacts if you dont mind sharing.

Cheers Will

If you want a trip off the beaten track and tourist routes try this.

http://www.mns.my/artstate.php?aid=560

Its not survival stuff but a good chance to see the forest up close. Its not forest resort stuff like Taman Negara and need a basha or tent.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Hey Bod, that looks good mate.

Will, Sabah is a great place - If your there I would suggest a few spots, out East, out of Sandakan, check out Uncle Tans Jungle camp, sadly he passed away a few years ago, he was a legend though and I was fortunate enough to train with him in the jungle in the mid nineties, almost 15 years ago, a true gentleman, His sons still run the Jungle survival camp out there and his memory is very much alive.

I was also on the 'ill-fated' Kinabatangan River expedition of '97, when Uncle Tans' lodge burnt down, I was one of the 8 members of the British Exped team that night, some very hard lessons learnt on that trip, sadly resulting in the loss of two very missed lives, if you do pass through, please give my regards.

An expedition in '98 took us into the Southern regions of Long Pasia, a community that has been very much destroyed by the enterprise of loggers, heartbreaking mate as one of the best jungle instructors I've learnt from lived here, fond memories of this trip and I'll never forget ending upside down in a Hi-lux driven by a 15 year old village kid called 'Carlsberg', which was mainly the reason why we ended upside down in a ditch in the first place.

Not much on the West side mate, spent time on the old 'Survivor' Island, Pulau Tiga, it was my first introduction to working on reality jungle telly, with 'Get me out of here' being the latest,....beggers and choosers springs to mind mate.

The North, my fav - the mountain jungles, I still have some commercial interests here, so hopefully you understand when I keep my contacts to myself, but I will advise you to get up Mt Kinabalu mate, I'm sure you'll love it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE