Making 2-Ply Hemp Rope

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Today I was out ar our rural property and we were waiting around for a truck that never came so I decided to teach two friends how to make light 2 ply hemp rope. I had the camera there so we filmed the process. I did the explanation in English and then went back and edited out me explaining it to them in Portuguese. It turned out smoother than I tought it would, the video, the rope was pretty fuzzy. Mac

Making 2-ply Hemp Rope

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
The language alone is amazing the way you flick back and forth between 'em...

Great job on the cordage!

:You_Rock_

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
It used to give me pause the way my wife could switch back and forth between languages in the same conversation. Once you gain fluency its like having a tap with either hot or cold or, like in my house, a mix of the two. Portuguese isn't an easy language and unfortunately the places it is spoken, aside from Portugal, are pretty scary. (Angola, Mozambique, East Timor...) Mac

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Interesting way to form a loop! I like it! a twin ply lazyman eye splice!
I find that rolling two thin cords on my thigh with one hand (if you see what I mean) and counter twisting the doubled end with the other hand (again - if you see what I mean) makes a one man job of this kind of work - and avoids thumb cramp as well as you use the palm of the hand to roll the twin cords.
A leather apron and a moist palm make life easier. Wearing shorts means you will get red, hairless legs out of the game.....:D

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Thigh rolling is the fastest way, but only if you can do it. I usually manage to roll one side or the other tigher while the other just slides along. I didn't know that loop had a name, I just call it a "loop". Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE