Magnifying Glass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

This is simple! Do you carry a magnifying glass with you into the wilderness? :) I actually do. I think the magnifyer is an overlooked and underrated item and as long as there's sun, there's fire! :D

I have a small one, which is 4 centimeters in diameter. It's made in plastic and I've sawed the 'handle' off. Then it's 'coated' with normal tape, so it can take a scratch. :wink: Instead of this you could also carry it in a little soft pouch. :biggthump

Cheers

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
I carry a 10 cm x 15 cm fresnel lens in my kit at all times. This photo is not the best but you can see the shadow of the lens and the beginning of the immediate flame I got. When I set this up I intended for it to take about 20 seconds to light up but within 5 seconds of placing the lens over the cedar shavings it burst into flame. The key is to create a spot that is about 15 to 20 mm with the sized lens above. The larger the lens the more power it will gather and the faster you get flame. The fresnel lens is plasitc and it wont break. It lays flat in the kit and weighs nothing.

FresnelFireStart640.jpg

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
yup i only really take them off if its raining

i can see pretty well without them just cant make out writing or small things in the distance

Tant

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I carry a small plastic reading lens, that I bought form my bookshop for about 50p. It is about 3cm by 5cm and pretty much unbreakable...

I found that it works brilliantly with char-cotton (made form denim). It also gives you the advantage of aiming the heat where you want it unlike the firesteel that can sometimes seem a little clumsy and leave your nice dry tinder scattered all over the place.....

Just for the record, Whats the knife in the piccie above... Its very nice??

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Yes, a magnifying glass is very good to use with charcloth. :wink: I've never been in the desert, but I think it's a must to carry one there. But perhaps Stuart can tell us?? :biggthump

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
The pics above were taken in the middle of the Sonoran Desert. A 10 cm x 15 cm fresnel lens (flat plastic reading lens from bookstore) will set almost anything on fire. I have lit up all manner of try tinder and even cotton t-shirts in seconds. The bigger the lens, the more heat it can focus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE