made a wooden handled firesteel [my first]

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i got it wrong the first time the hole needs to be about 9mm and i only had a 8 and 10mm drill bit and used the 10mm.

so started again used a 8mm and worked the hole.
no shed,tools used.

my wall
hand vice
b*****d file [couldnt find my rasp]
sand paper
cordless drill
drill bits
araldite
blank fire steel from woodlore site

waiting for the glue to dry then a bit more sanding in front of the TV.

i dont have any wood oil can you reccomend one or is varnish better?

also i cut some extra lengths in case any one here wanted a piece[it seems to me just the right size for these].
let me know and i will pop one in the post gratis.

P1040268.jpg

P1040271.jpg

P1040274.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice work Johhny, I tried to rehandle one last year but it kept popping off before the glue was dry

Haven't you got short fingers :)

S

sccadmin

Nice work, I'm planning on one similar but perhaps with a quick release toggle in the bottom like I've seen on here before, got the toggles, just waiting on the fire steel blank and a decent piece of wood.

I guess linseed oil would work? I use it on my axe handles and used to use it on my cricket bats.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Very nice, much more precise than my attempts. Made both of mine with my SAK, the larger one has cracked as it dried as it was a bit of a tight fit so I'll have to redo it. the smaller one I've just got on some shockcord to add to my keys - it stops metal bits jingling together.

steels.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... i dont have any wood oil can you reccomend one or is varnish better? ...

I think linseed oil is a bit sticky for something that you're going to hold in your hand a lot. Waxes might be too slippery when finished. If I thought it needed some sort of a finish I'd probably stain it with one of the outdoor paint-type products that go on fences and sheds. Another alternative might be common whipping or something decorative with cord, dipped in varnish. That should give you a good grippy surface which you do want here.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i did one in walnut, and black buffalo horn with red liner to match the knife i made for a mate,..

the steel.

IMG00840-20110311-1851.jpg

the knife it matches,..

DSC03180.jpg

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
nice ^^ i use hard wood i find out west for my handles, and if i use shavein of the handle takes a spark too easy ^^
just need to find a dead thing for bones ..... ^^

-----
Skipp

S

sccadmin

Raikey - I love that knife, blade has the profile I like and handle is beautiful, great work :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE