Mad Bear Vildmark Tipi and Outwell Sliding Canopy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I am regretfully selling my Vildmark Tipi

http://www.madbearoutdoors.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=mbvildmarkseconds (mine is without the inner, but with the groundsheet)

and an Outwell Sliding Canopy

http://www.outwell.dk/TentMeasure.aspx?b=Outwell&bid=2&lid=1&l=en-GB&catID=261&TentId=745&pid=1

The Tipi wasn't bought as a factory second, but this is the second one I've had and it has some faults ( missing clip for inner attachment and groundsheet, some missed stitching leaving some stitch holes in the main fabric, and the toggle for tying back the door fell off and has been tied back on).

It has been tricky to keep pitched properly as the canvas stretches, but this has been pretty well fixed by adding rubber loops to each of the webbing pegging points round the skirt. The original pegs were rubbish and have been replaced with heavy duty steel pegs. It has been proofed and is 99% waterproof. There are a couple of spots on the seams near the base that let in a bit of water during heavy rain, but as it's right at the outer edge, I haven't been bothered to reseal the seams.

These faults apart, it has been incredibly sturdy and stood up to some bad weather and winds where even I was struggling to stand up. We have had a firebox lit twice in it for a few hours each time and the smoke nicely goes up and out the top hat. Overall, it certainly has a nice feel to it, and I have enjoyed camping in it.

It was bought June 2008, and has been pitched about 20 nights.

The Outwell sliding canopy has never been used, but pitched once in the garden. There are two problems with the tipi, the slope of the door means it lets rain in as you enter and leave the tent, and in good weather there is no canopy to sit under out of the sun, or cook in, or look at the view, given the door of the tipi is relatively small.

The Outwell sliding canopy was meant to solve this problem and provide a framework to assemble a midge netting cage around it. The idea (untested) was to slant the canopy over the tipi door to provide protection for the door and an area to sit under.

Thus giving a quick to erect, very good at dealing with bad weather option of putting just the tipi up, but with the option of adding the canopy for longer stays.

The tent in action last summer is shown below:

_DSC0009.jpg

_DSC0011.jpg

The canopy is a Tatonka Tarp and walking poles, which I'm not selling, but it shows the inspiration for buying the Outwell Canopy.

It seems that once again, I can see the pics, but others can't so here is a direct link to the Picasa web page.

http://picasaweb.google.com/myotisone/NWScotland2008?authkey=Gv1sRgCO6MkOK_5vjrfQ#

I paid full price for the tent and then negotiated a discount because of the faults and the need to replace the pegs, but given that the factory seconds with the inner were selling for £350, and mine is second hand I don't think I can ask anymore than £160 for it, including carriage or delivery (remember I don't have the inner, but do have the groundsheet).

The canopy, is unused and although the 2008 model, these are identical to the 2009 model. The latter is selling at £120, but I managed to get the 2008 model at £80, but not sure if that older version is still around. I would like to get £65 for it including carriage or delivery.

I would prefer selling both as a single package for £215 (instead of £160 for the tipi and £65 for the canopy), and given the bulk and weight prefer to arrange delivery.

I am in the Well/Shepton Mallet area in Somerset but would travel 50 miles or so to exchange, or further if I can link it with a weekend away.

Payment by cheque (I would prefer to wait for it to clear before handing over the goods) or cash iin hand if I am delivering it.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE