Lunchtime bimble fungi spotting

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Every now and then I have to get out the office for lunch, being surrounded by IT geeks kind of grinds you down a bit.

Excuse the extremely poor piccies, I only got my new camera yesterday. They will improve over time I promise.

I think I know what most of them are but you`re welcome to have a guess .....

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Guessing a bit, but:

oyster
oyster (or maybe not with the domed cap)
honey
puffball or earthball - looks a bit too brown for puffball
oyster
honey
shaggy inkcap

Geoff

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
What camera are you using Shewie? We should get together sometime and have a go at figuring this photography lark out! You've got a couple of good shots there though, keep plugging away and you'll get the images you want.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What camera are you using Shewie? We should get together sometime and have a go at figuring this photography lark out! You've got a couple of good shots there though, keep plugging away and you'll get the images you want.

Got a Canon 350D off ebay

It`s the first SLR of any description I`ve ever had and there are soooo many buttons. Automatic mode takes some cracking pictures but kind of defeats the object of having an SLR. Trying to get my head round the aperture priority mode at the mo, ho hum.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Top one defiantly oyster mushroom
Next probably oyster mushroom

The brown group on log has brown gills so is related to the funeral bell.
fourth one down is pholiota not a honey fungus.

fifth is probably oyster but it is camera shy.
Not sure on the second to last.
Bob is right about the inkcaps.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Top one defiantly oyster mushroom
Next probably oyster mushroom

The brown group on log has brown gills so is related to the funeral bell.
fourth one down is pholiota not a honey fungus.

fifth is probably oyster but it is camera shy.
Not sure on the second to last.
Bob is right about the inkcaps.

Piccie number 5 xylaria, aswell as the oysters there is one in the foreground (not in focus either I know :( ) which looked like a big old leaf but was definitely fungi. It had seen better days and was frankly on it`s last legs but I`ve never seen anything that size before, any ideas what it might have been ? Probably about 8" in diameter.

I might go back tomorrow and try again

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Try taking loads of pics on the same object and distance, but alter your aperture setting each time and you'll see the difference. It was how I started out when i got my Bridge camera.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Got a Canon 350D off ebay

It`s the first SLR of any description I`ve ever had and there are soooo many buttons. Automatic mode takes some cracking pictures but kind of defeats the object of having an SLR. Trying to get my head round the aperture priority mode at the mo, ho hum.

For Aperture priority a good rule of thumb is: the bigger the number the more depth of field that you have, f4-f5.6 for portraits or for limited depth of field, landscapes f11 to f22 for full front to back DoF, and keep your shutter speed (the other number in the screen) above 60 or 125 for hand held shots.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I feel I must apologise for publishing such carp quality photos and Im promise I won`t let it happen again.

By the way can anybody point me in the direction of some useful photography websites, I think I need back to basics stuff so I can understand aperture and exposure etc. I`m quite happy with the composition, rule of thirds etc, but what I can`t get my head round is how do you work out what aperture/f-stop, exposure and shutter speed you need for a particular shot.

Maybe I should start another thread ?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Look on videojug for short films by Mark Comon. He lays it down in laymans' terms and it does sink in. He covers all sorts of subjects, so fish around for what you want.

If you're hand holding in anything less than sunlight you might want to think about using the Tv setting.

Set the shutter speed to whatever number you've got the lens zoomed to (so if you shoot at 100mm on the lens, set the shutter speed to 1/100 or quicker... if you shoot at 50mm, set the shutter speed to 1/50 or quicker - those numbers will probably show as 100 or 50 on the camsera... most cameras miss out the 1/ bit)

This way the camera will take in as much or little light as possible to allow you to hand hold the camera without shaking too much. If the other number (usually something like 4.5 to 22) flashes on a low number, turn the camera's flash on. If the high number flashes, increase the shutter speed.

I could explain this MUCH better if i was next to you and you were holding the camera - but to avoid the camera shake you've got in a few images there, Tv is one of the better sort-of-automatic settings.

On the mushrooms thing...
I've been reading about them for a while now and while I know a LOT more than I used to... until I have a proper mycologist teach me I won't be eating any of them. I can identify some poisonous ones fairly well, but I can't be sure enough to know the safe ones.

So much of it is subjective (particularly ones that need identifying by taste) it's too risky to go off what you get in books or videos alone.
Until someone says "this is what is meant by tasting of aniseed" or "this is what cucumber tastes like in relation to mushrooms".

There are a couple I'd eat if I found them as they are so distinctive - but I've never found one yet - so far I'm entirely shop-bound for fungus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE