Low Stretch Cord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
After wasting money on various reels of paracord.
im looking for recommendations of low or no stretch cord.

It really needs to be minimal stretch ideally not stupidly expensive as I get through a lot of cordage.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I bought some really good cord from Tamarack outdoors (BCUK members get discount) but it was only thin stuff, I think the brand was Beal, some kind of accessory cord. Brilliant as lightweight guyline for my tarp- I'm curious as to why you get through so much of it?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The two very stiff ones fairly easily available are Aramid (Kevlar 49) and UHMLPE (Spectra, Dyneema), they are slightly difficult to tie in knots.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Depends how bushcrafty you want to be.
Baler twine?
the stuff used to make bales of hay and straw
Different thickness available depending on strength etc.
cost is £10 -£30 per kilometre!
I have a 2.5km roll in my shed i'm working through.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
For a bow drill I picked up a cheap bulk load of mower/saw started cord. I gather that's low stretch and hard wearing.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Atwood do a mini cord in Kevlar possibly a bit spendy.

Marlow do a couple of throw lines, one dyneema. 50m mini reels.

And if you don't mind a flatter cord, there's Comms Cord to be had on eBay etc

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
There are a few options out there depending on your needs.

My main preferred option now in the new issue green string it is about a 3mm cord with a breaking strain of about 300lb which I can sometimes get through the stores chain in the army. The old stuff we had was the worst for stretch ever and was almost like a elastic band.

other more commercial options are:

The big bad blue poly rope
here is a link
Black yacht rope for a bit more subdued
Here is a link
A white low stretch thin cord used for picture hanging, they have several difference sizes and thickness
Here is a link

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm using bank line for more and more things. Its realy cheap, and you get a lot for your money. Great for lashings tripods, camp furniture, shelters, bootlace, guylines etc. I still use parracord for my tarp ridgeline, but that's about it, since I discovered bankline.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
I'm using bank line for more and more things. Its realy cheap, and you get a lot for your money. Great for lashings tripods, camp furniture, shelters, bootlace, guylines etc. I still use parracord for my tarp ridgeline, but that's about it, since I discovered bankline.
which one do you find best for overall bush-craft as there seems to be three weights available

There are three weights available 18 gauge, 30 gauge and 36 gauge depending on your requirements:
  • The 18 gauge has 250 feet (76m) on a reel and has a 160lb (75kg) breaking strain.
  • The 30 gauge has 125 feet (38m) on a reel and has a 280lb (127kg) breaking strain.
  • The 36 gauge has 122 feet (37m) on a reel and has a 320lb (145kg) breaking strain.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I can't be sure now, as I've had this reel some time, and I've forgotten what I bought, but I think I got 30 gauge. 125 feet seems to ring a bell somewhere in the deep hidey holes in my brain cell! :)

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
I can't be sure now, as I've had this reel some time, and I've forgotten what I bought, but I think I got 30 gauge. 125 feet seems to ring a bell somewhere in the deep hidey holes in my brain cell! :)
thank you

i also see there is frayed [blue label] and non frayed [red label] both tarred and does make hands look dirty and both have their place thus my thinking is have a roll of each

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Then if stiffness is really important soft steel wire might work. Used that in the past for a lot of strange things.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Hilleberg tent guy line cord is zero stretch material, and they sell it in 25m lengths of 2mm or 3mm diameters.

It is pretty pricey though

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE