Lopham Fen (Picture heavy)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I thought I'd put up a few pics of our stamping ground at Lopham. The fen is thawing out and even more waterlogged than usual.
Looking out of the woods onto the fen. The boy's trousers blended in well with the birch etc
sales502.jpg

Coppicing of the alder has started
sales506.jpg

Alder poles produced for sale
sales505.jpg

My younger son, exploring a felled tree.
sales514.jpg

View across the fen, very wet at the moment.
sales509.jpg

Time for a brew. Some nice pollard willows in the distance...
sales511.jpg

Cricket bat willow, some of it is being extracted-to sell to cricket bat makers
sales513.jpg

Picture of moi in deerhunter fur hat:rolleyes:
sales520.jpg

Baby birch burrs. The parent tree had fallen but hadnt died. I didnt find any alder burrs as I had hoped on this ocasion. Nice morning out though...
sales524.jpg

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice photos, good to see woods being worked.
Love the stark colour of the freshly cut alder.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I just love alder. See it a lot in Scotland when I'm out canoeing on the lochs. My bushcraft knife has an alder root handle. What are the alder poles used for?:)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for looking guys. I believe the poles are for gardens, bean poles etc. Might possibly be sold on to hedge layers for stakes too....I agree the orange red colour is SO beautiful. I get my firewood from there, its very well organised. I might get up there again later in the week and take some pics of the coppice workers doing their thing....

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL That was one of the rare ocasins we didnt see any deer, usually there are groups of 5 and 6, although the boy is only 5 and still tends to be a bit noisy....:) And there are wild ponies, we saw some of those yesterday
sales527.jpg

cheers Jonathan :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE