Looking for a good warm Parka

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi all. I'm looking for a parka, my old one has had it. I,m 5'9" and 12 stone and 44" chest. Any one out there with anything lived in but good.
Cheers
Colin.

Mods if I've put this in the wrong place, please feel free to shift it. Ta.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
The good old fish tail parka (mod) being sold by a French guy on ebay brand new about 80 best parka not waterproof though. The same parka brand new in uk is about 140+

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Look out for an old RAF aircrew parka, not very light but ventile outer and as warm as a warm thing.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Anyone have the Bear Grylls Polar Jacket linked to above? http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...mpid=28&tmad=c
Seems like a good price at Debenhams
There seems to be mixed representations of its content 900 fill power on the Bear grylls site vs 700 fill power on the Craghoppers site.
Also some mixed reveiws over build quality (stitching and zip)

I got one a couple of years ago and its a very good jacket, very warm (sometimes too warm) and excellent quality. I have been hearing mixed reviews about craghoppers recently, seems the quality has slipped over the last year or so.

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
Thanks pauljim - I've ordered one via Amazon - will have a look and if stitching is coming off and zip is sticky will return

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Thanks pauljim - I've ordered one via Amazon - will have a look and if stitching is coming off and zip is sticky will return

Hope you get a good one. If not, get yourself a swedish m90 (or get one of each as the m90s are readily available for under £30) and are a nice warm coat, works great with layers underneath, sadly it isnt waterproof, but Ive just ordered a ex army goretex jacket for wearing underneath.

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
They have reduced the fill power of the Craghoppers Bear Grylls Polar Jacket to 700 from 900.
Central zip is very flimsy.
Not a keeper for me.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
They have reduced the fill power of the Craghoppers Bear Grylls Polar Jacket to 700 from 900.
Central zip is very flimsy.
Not a keeper for me.

Thats a shame, theyve ruined a great jacket. Get yourself an m90 and a cheap goretex jacket as a waterproof liner and you should be toasty and dry, thats my walking combo at the moment. May need to add more layers when it gets really cold.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
CLK - how did you find the sizing of the French parka?

I ordered the L/XL and it fits perfectly over my heavy fleece. Have found it very warm and comfortable. It is also long enough to sit on. The liner buttons on easily and the whole thing must weigh about 5lbs. The label inside dates it to 1978. My only quibble is that there are no hand warmer pockets. Other than that I'm very happy with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE