Loch trool

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Evening
Watching a recent you tube video of above loch wildcamping.could be one of us.if so drop me a pm.need to pick your brains

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I don't think the video is me but i have wild camped on Trool several times, take midge defense

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Cheers is that most if the year.were going up end of April

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Part of the peak midge season up that way, headnets and Smidge highly recommended especially around dusk and dawn, i personally prefer to use a Beatons Midge jacket and Smidge combo, they seem to get particularly gruesome when you are on the loch edge.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Damn
Maybe a rethink as they'd spoil it for us.we have a leatherwork course with Hamish so well find something

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It's definitely a nice area and most places up that way are heavy on the midge but once you get a fire going it's not so bad, certain areas around the loch edge gets a bit hefty as it is low lying compared to the surrounding area so it's well sheltered from the wind unless it is blowing down the Water of Trool valley and across the loch, they have certainly never stopped us enjoying it up that way and we have plans to go again i just thought it was right to mention them

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
ASsS is good for drowning them when they land to feed but not good for keeping them off you, only thing i have found highly successful to keeping them away is Wilmas Nordic summer and Smidge, Smidge being my preference as it is much easier to apply, the stuff even worked against the Adirondack black flies, horse flies and deer flies when i was in US last summer, i buy it in a case of 12 bottles at a time on Amazon to save money

Smidge

hp-smidge.png

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It performed so good when i was in US that the locals were asking me why they were being feasted upon and i wasn't, they all had the idea that the local flies didn't like my foreign blood and other such madness until i showed them what i was using, wish i hadn't as every 4-6 hrs after that i was being pestered by the humans rather than the flies

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Never had a single tick on me either since i started using it

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Nice i'd like to do a Swedish trip someday, we've got a pencilled in Norwegian adventure planned all dependant on if the proposed ferry service goes ahead between uk and Bergen this March

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I did that same trip back in 2002 to go diving in the fjords.
Newcastle to bergen ran by a Greek company if I remember.
Were canoeing and camping in sweden

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
That will be my plan for Norway too, might also rent the odd cabin with a hot tub near a fjord for a day or two, hopefully the ferry service between Newcastle and Bergan will resume as prophesied

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
There is just the single ferry service currently running from Newcastle to Holland, we're tempted to take it anyway and drive and camp our way up into Norway if the new service doesn't take off

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I've heard of the authorities checking heavily people coming in from Holland

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah that wouldn't surprise me especially if you are driving, they would be welcome to rifle through my camping gear :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE