Loch Long

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Weeeeeee! Bouncy swells.

LL_AUG_01.jpg

Nothing biting. I didn't even put a rod together but Scott had a few goes.

LL_AUG_02.jpg

Wandered up the hill through a surpisingly large "proper" wood. Someone must have held out when the FC came a'tempting. Good on them. Birch, oak, alder, hazel, rowan, and beech mainly, lovely.

LL_AUG_03.jpg

Had to end though.

LL_AUG_04.jpg

You gotta love pine woods for the firewood though.

LL_AUG_05.jpg

...and other goodies.

LL_AUG_06.jpg

Lots of red deer tracks, some real biggies among them. Skirted round what could have been a watering hole(but could have just as easily been a spring).

LL_AUG_07.jpg

Oh dear, the mushrooms, time to see if I remember anythng.
Right, chicken of the woods, young and a bit peely-wally. We let it be.

LL_AUG_08.jpg

Charcoal burner

LL_AUG_09.jpg

Chanterelle

LL_AUG_10.jpg

Cant remember, didn't go in the pot. A couple went home with Scott to be dissected later with the books to hand.

LL_AUG_11.jpg

Lots of types of boletus as well. The red ones in the middle here are either Satans boletus(nasty) or some other type that are apparently yummy, so just in case he had a plateful away with him.

LL_AUG_12.jpg

The ceps and others were yummy for sure. Only oil we had with us was in a smoked sausage but that wasn't a bad thing.

LL_AUG_13.jpg

The whole area was mussel-ridden. Not quite the size of those round in loch goil but not far off. Must be the diet of radioactive goo and oil spillages.

LL_AUG_14.jpg

You'd think being across the way from an oil terminal would be offputting but it was eminently ignorable and actually quite pretty at night.

LL_AUG_15.jpg

The moon was out too so it was bright thereabouts and when the tide hit the fire at about midnight I watched the cloud of steam drift north up the loch a good half mile before thinning out. :)

Spent sunday scooting about in conditions ranging from going nowhere to "Eek, should I be here". Scott(who's sailed a fair but) watched from up the hill where he was picking more mushrooms when the wind picked up and later offered the sage advice...."You need to grow a pair".
A fair assessment I reckon.

LL_AUG_16.jpg

LL_AUG_17.jpg

Nice weekend, relaxed and cheery. A lot quieter no doubt than the day whoever left this lot(and many more) littering the bay were around.

LL_AUG_18.jpg

:)
Josh

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's how to spend a few days :D

Beautiful Josh :cool: I haven't been up Loch Long in a while, and we used to do a lot of messing about on the water there.
Thanks for sharing.

Doesn't ya Beauty look trim ? :approve:

atb,
M

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
yep that looked good josh , maybe get up there sometime with you buddy. the boat looks great too.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pics Josh, not been up for a while and that's made me miss it even more.

Looked a bit bumpy on the way out, were you sailing in that ?

Where's the hair gone too ?

I'm due a pass out soon so I'll be giving you a shout no doubt.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Always fit for passing out.;)

Doesn't ya Beauty look trim ? :approve:

Needs more sail.:D

This's really the first I've seen her from afar too. The sail looks a lot bigger up close. :rolleyes:
Need to start thinking about a fixed angle boom fitting thingumy as well. The loose boom is lifting in the wind and allowing the sail to twist.

Paddled over. Doesn't catch the wind much, what with the low sides and deck.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Easy come easy go. That was only a couple of years growth. I've had it long a bunch of times over the years.
Was too hot. Not just during the heatwave but even hiking about on a warmish day, was hell under a midgie net with no breeze.

...and the grey ratio was irritating. Wouldn't be so bad if it was all grey but the streaks and highlights were all patchy. I'll give it a few years then let it loose again, work on the Corries look. :D

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, they were.

Yon building in the background of the mussel photo is the loading bay of RNAD Coulport, where we keep our nukes. There are cutter and rhib patrols on the loch, MPs cruising the roads and no doubt the woods are crawling with hairy-arsed squaddies on exercises.

Ah, I love the smell of impending nuclear annihilation in the morning. :rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah, they were.

Yon building in the background of the mussel photo is the loading bay of RNAD Coulport, where we keep our nukes. There are cutter and rhib patrols on the loch, MPs cruising the roads and no doubt the woods are crawling with hairy-arsed squaddies on exercises.

Ah, I love the smell of impending nuclear annihilation in the morning. :rolleyes:

There is something strange about tucking into some freshly cooked mussels whilst sit and watching the goings on at Coulport. Tasted okay to me though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE