Loch Lomond fishing

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What's the crack with fishing on Loch Lomond, is a permit required ?

If so where do I get one ?

Can I eat any trout that I catch ?

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
There is a permit on Lomond. It was £15 for a day ticket but may be more now. There is a coarse permit now as well. The trfout are fine to eat and are usually easiest to find at the rivermouths.

Dazcon.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
There are trout up the Endrick. Those I've seen, they do exist.

There are pike. They have to be eating something.
And there are big pike even. The chance of that roller coaster in the canoe's there. Like hooking a seal.
Gotta be worth a go. :)

I've caught nowt in a few years of occasionaly towing a line. They are in there though, they're always in there.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
There's also Ferox trout, a LARGE cannibalistic monster that lives in the depths, you don't want to hook one of them on your aldi rod ;-)
jon

K

Keefgeordie

Go easy on the pike guys, they are having a hard time over much of Britain now. They all but disappeared from Lomond 7 or 8 years back.

Quite slow growing so the larger ones have low population density, and being apex predators they are important to ecosystems.
If you must eat them stick to smaller ones and put the larger spawning stock back.

Perch make great eating and have fewer bones :)

Go easy on the pike guys, they are having a hard time over much of Britain now. They all but disappeared from Lomond 7 or 8 years back.

Quite slow growing so the larger ones have low population density, and being apex predators they are important to ecosystems.
If you must eat them stick to smaller ones and put the larger spawning stock back.

Perch make great eating and have fewer bones :)

I agree completely - leave the pike alone!, if you have to eat freshwater fish then eat trout, thats why they were invented.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Fear not. No pike were harmed. Don't think anyone even cracked a rod out so it was a fish friendly weekend.
Thanks for the information though.

The big pike comments were more of a warning that they were there. I've been towed about by strings of mackaral a couple of times and really the thought of catching a 15lb pike when you're sat in a 30lb canoe isn't one to be relished.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE