Loch Ard Canoe Camping

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Had a nice work trip out last night, campers drinking booze made us not use the Island and stick to the mainland. 67MPH gusts were recorded last night but our sturdy and well made Vango Tempest and Spectre tents did not loosen a peg or rip a guy line. Very well made tents which inspire confidence, although I still checked the tents every hour fro a few hours during the night. Also my own Vango TYPHOON was 100% happy and did not get any damage. The benefit of the wind was no midges !

We used Gelert fleece liners but they had trouble zipping them as they are quite a small fiddly zipper. I was just thinking to make our own using fleece and a bungee drawstring at the neck. These with onesies kept the group warm. Any thoughts ?

Tempests and Spectres - survived 67mph gusts undamaged by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Tempests and Spectres - survived 67mph gusts undamaged by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Very tough and strong ex army basha, pararcord tie offs.

Tarp Windbreak - survived 67mph gusts undamaged by Scotstechy, on Flickr

The versatile group cooking kit, trangias. The windy weather used up much more fuel than usual.

Group Trangias by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Ps Spot the supercool onesie !

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah a couple of my friends have the Banshee 200's, top notch they are too.

Weather looks interesting to say the least, still giraffe print onsies keep off the worst of it, eh ;)?

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Looks like a good set up you have there mate, the tarp pic gives a good idea on hard it was blowing.

Atb

Craig

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Ok nice set up, but onesies :confused: takes away the adventure/romance of your thread title for me.
But looks like a good trip, very jealous been stuck at work :p

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Kids tend to have thin sleeping bags so a onesie and a fleece liner with a foam mat means warmth. Yes, they are a bit 'cheesey'. Boys like em too !
Sleeping bags are a nightmare as if we had lent some out they have to be laundered after every use, it's hard enough sorting all the kit out as it is.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE