Living 'tree library' in Oxfordshire

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
For anyone interested in tree identification, the Northmoor Trust near Wittenham Clumps have a 'living library' of nearly 50 of what are regarded as native British trees: http://www.northmoortrust.co.uk/home/estate/explore/arboretum/arboretum.pdf including species that you may not commonly see, such as Wayfaring tree and Wild Service Tree.

It was a bit bare yesterday, but I'll be back through the year this year to see how they all develop.

Geoff

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It was very interesting to see. there's half a dozen or more of each species so can get an average.
Worth taking a look if you're in the area

Mark

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Brilliant, thanks for this. It's just down the road from me, I've been wondering around Wittenham Clumps with my Collins Gem Trees book but never realised there was something like this.

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Very interesting as there are officially only 33 truely native trees in the UK. In Hampshire we have Hilliers Arboretum which has a few hundred assorted species.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yes I agree about the arboretum at Northmoor Trust....a lot of the trees are very young still but a great place to spend some hours studying trees as the'yre all in one place........Good post Geoff and Mark. Harcourt aboretum isn't too far from there either so you could pop in there afterwards and make a day of it............There's some wild red currants near Wittenham clumps woods and lots of interesting wild plants....cowslip, yellow rattle, scarlet and yellow pimpernel etc etc. Very good area for studying plants......There's a wild service tree in shotover country park too Geoff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE