liner material? and pins? (pic heavy)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Gents,

i,m new to the knife making game but have got to a stage with my RAT3 project where i need some help,..

1. what do i use for liners? i think i'd like black (or maybe red) is there something i can source locally to use?

2. i want to use brass pins, my tang is drilled to 5mm, i have loads of bar but no lathe.

3.does anyone want 18 inches of 15-16mm dia chrome plated brass bar, or two 9-10mm brass pins?(pics below)

4. does anyone think they may be able to use some thin stainless plate for anything, its thin enough to bend into windsheilds,heat deflectors etc.(pics below)

if so and you have an old bit of liner material or some 5mm brass rod just holla, and we'll sort summat out..

i dont think begging for freebies and offering some juicy bits to a good home contraviens the forum rules but if it does sorry in advance

thanks folks

:eek::):)

DSC02859.jpg

DSC02849.jpg

DSC02864.jpg

DSC02863.jpg

DSC02862.jpg

DSC02861.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
For a makeshift lathe you could always clamp your drill into a vise then use some coarse sandpaper or a file on the bar whilst it's spinning round.

And are those live shotgun cartridges on your bench? If they are then they're a bit rusty :rolleyes:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i think by the time i got rid of 4mm of brass with a drill and sandpaper, knifes will be obsolete and we'll all be using little lightsabres, hahah

yes they're live, i,ve just had a tidy up and found loads in a bin on my bench, i probbly need to dispose of them really..

thanks

Stu..

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-x-NEW-5mm-R...888635&cguid=794a31ef12b0a47a26a13361ff8d8a8f

World's longest link! it's not cheap but it shows it exists. If the holes were 6 mm I could send you brass, aircraft ali or stainless, but I have no 5mm I'm afraid.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/mickwardell/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Mick Wardell for liners and other various, no connections but a regular customer. You could also try Leonidas on here as he sells lots of supplies and I've had great products and service from him as well...

Alternatively for liners you can use beer cans (or those steel pieces on your bench!) or birch bark like Addo does on his stick tangs, he gets some amazing results whilst recycling!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
nice one , cheers,..

just out of interest,..

are liners just asthetic?, or do they have a function?..

i,m thinking they are like a gasket, to help take up any inperfections in the steel to handle material joint and create a good fit,..?

Last edited:

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
If you are desperate I could turn up a couple of lengths of 5mm diameter brass if you like.....
if youd like em just pm me your address and the length youd like - Max I could do is about 50mm long as Ive a couple of short lengths of hex brass from which I could make em.......................

Regards

Paul

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Liners are for looks as well as keeping water out. A liberal coating of Araldite when the scales go on prevent this, but I like the look of liners personally.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE