Lin of Dee (pic heavy)

Well, I have finally got round to taking the photos off of my camera. Not that good. I havent been doing much photography over the last year so they are a bit fuzzy. Need to practice more lol.

Anyway the trip turned out to be a bit of a disaster but also a good learning experience. :)

Our setup, we joined two cheap tarps together with the buttons. Plenty of room.
IMG_7502.jpg

IMG_7504.jpg

From the rear you would hardly notice it at a distance.
IMG_7508.jpg

First we had decided to picth the tarps in a nice spot however we had this hanging over our heads, so decided to move away from it. Always pays to look up. :)
IMG_7503.jpg

Next after a bit of walking around we found another tree which was dead and rotting away. This tree was one of the reasons we decided to pack up in the middle of the night as the winds got a bit higher and this tree creaked so much it was worrying as we didn't know which way it was going to go.
IMG_7507.jpg

Inside the rotting tree was this fungus. Any ideas?
IMG_7506.jpg

Also we found a bit of horsehoof fungus which was quite damp.
IMG_7509.jpg

Anyways we decided to pack up in the night as the rain started to come through the tarp, both at the join between the 2 and I couldn't get to sleep properly because of two reasons. 1 - my dutch bivy annoyed the hell outta me as each time I moved the velcro would open, and 2 - that tree creaking so loudly that it could collapse at any moment.

So we decided to pack up in the night and head to the nearby bothy where 4 guests were already having a brew. :)

This was our 2nd failed attempt at camping out without a tent, The first one is a longer story and is for another time, lets just say it involved hammocks :lmao: I will get there im sure. :)

Andy

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for sharing, most of us have had similar experiences at one stage or another, they just lead to great tales around the fire.

Good luck for next time

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Was it the Linn o' Dee or Derry Lodge (it looks like Derry Lodge with the nearby bothy being Bob Scott's)?

BTW, you wouldn't catch me under a tarp in the midge season!

Jim

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Favourite bit of world Derry..... looking forward to getting the hammock and new Coccoon from the GB up there in a couple of weeks, maybe even weekend after this one (has his fingers and toes crossed!!)

Thanks for the post

KP

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Lest readers of this thread think that 'Pandabean' toughed it out in a near-hovel bothy, Bob Scott's has double glazing, a nice wood burning stove and a toilet in an outhouse. It's just one step away from a 'Travellodge'!
;^)

I had a peep inside a couple of years back, but scorned it and put my tent up in the clearing on the other side of the Lui Water.

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE