Lilac Tree Wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
After a hectic weekend in the garden I have ended up with an armful of Lilac wood but I can't decide what to do with it. :rolleyes:

One of my aims for this year to to actually start a fire by friction, this wood seems OK for a bearing block and a bow, but too hard for the rest and it soundly resists all attempts at carving, any ideas? :eek:

Oh yes my wife is convinced that its poisonous too, is it? :confused:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
A quick Google turned up this information...
"The wood of lilac is close-grained, diffuse-porous, extremely hard and one of the densest in Europe. The sapwood is typically cream-colored and the heartwood has various shades of brown and purple. Lilac wood has traditionally been used for engraving, musical instruments, knife handles etc."

So perhaps your best bet would be to season it and use it for handles? I wouldn't mind trying a bit myself come to think of it, I found a picture of some that had been made into a walking stick handle and it looks a little like a more pale version of yew with the darker heartwood and lighter sapwood.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Hmm, thanks, that sounds like a good find then :)

At the moment its a pile of branches and twigs in the corner of the garden, I will have to trim it up and see exactly whats there.

It also explains why it but seems to make a nice bearing block :)

rainsbury said:
Hmm, thanks, that sounds like a good find then :)

At the moment its a pile of branches and twigs in the corner of the garden, I will have to trim it up and see exactly whats there.

It also explains why it but seems to make a nice bearing block :)
If your going to season it rough cut it however you want then dip the end grain in melted candle wax a few times to seal it, you probably already knew this but thought i would mention it :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Singeblister said:
If your going to season it rough cut it however you want then dip the end grain in melted candle wax a few times to seal it, you probably already knew this but thought i would mention it :)

No I didn't, thats all news to me so thanks :eek:

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
i have my eye on some scraggy lilac in the garden, i carved a spoon once from some and it was very tightly grained and hard which is why i wanted some for other little projects.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Well I spent quite pleasant afternoon gathering the wood and trimming it up, unfortunatley most of it appears to have quite severe longtiudinal cracks so I don't know how much use its going to be fo carving, however it would seem to make ideal bearing blocks! (Not that I have ever managed this yet!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE