Light sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Whilst shopping in Sainsbury’s today I came across some Halloween branded products. Amongst them I noticed some light sticks for 99p. Ok I know light sticks have little use other than marking things and most of you lot wont have a use for them but I thought I would purchase a couple to see if they were any good.

And, I am quite surprised at there quality although they may not last the 8 hours of better quality ones but to be fair they do not quote a time. The one I activated tonight has been running for 3 hours now and is still bright.

I like these and at a quid a piece I will be chucking a couple in the base of my sack and if anyone really likes them if you do a web search you can make a bulk purchase for about 29p each.

cl15vn.jpg

cl26xt.jpg

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
That's a good price, I might have to hunt some out. I occasionally get these from Lakeland, works out at about 49p a go.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I was up at 4.30 this morning and walked down stairs and wondered what the glow was in the front room forgetting the light stick. I was surprised to see that it was still giving off plenty of light 9 and a half hours after I had activated it, it was still lighting up the room to move around comfortably with my light adjusted eyes.

Not bad really, they worked far better than I expected.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I am having a complete memory faliure , but i have seen a cover for these some where that makes the light more directable . Might be of use .
Pumbaa

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
pumbaa said:
I am having a complete memory faliure , but i have seen a cover for these some where that makes the light more directable . Might be of use .
Pumbaa

I have a piece of plastic plumbers tubing which has a cut of 1.5 cm and about 13 cm long. The Cyalume is then activated and placed into the tube, so that the light can be directed as I need it.

Chip

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Cylumes "keep" in the freezer, once they are activated put them in the freezer till you need them next take them out a week later and they start working again!
I used to use the tiny ones that go on fishing floats, and it worked well for a few days use.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Maplins Electronics sell various types of lightstick from the geniune Cyalumes to a pack of thin sticks about 18" long with connectors to "daisy chain" them with. These packs have an advantage over many because each stick is packed in a fairly rigid but lightweight plastic tube to help avoid accidental activation. We found that a local "Pound Bargain" shop had packs of 20 sticks about 10" long in mixed colours for a quid a pack and after testing some found that they lasted 8 hours each no problem. We took them with us on a trip to the Himalayas to mark tents, way-mark between tent and much needed quiet spot (night-time wanderings... much more subtle than a torch around camp) and to softly illuminate strange hotel rooms overnight. This last point is worth remembering. You will often find that in less developed countries that a) your room will be black dark once the lights are off, and b) that such niceties as fire exits and escapes are not marked or illuminated. If you arrive tired and crash out soon after you might not even remember where you are, let alone where the lightswitch is (If it works!) if you are woken in the small hours by a sudden shout or the smell of burning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE