Lidl snow chains

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Winter tyres are fantastic, we tried a BMW 5-series without them in our carpark during all that terrible snow two years ago, it was stuck solid we didnt get far before we had to tow it. However when it came back with the winter tyres on we couldnt get it stuck, we were all over the place in it! night and day!

I bought them for my astravan last year and it never snowed :-( typical!

I have noticed in the extreme off roading you tube videos they have chains on so they must be worthwhile, if we get that thick stuff we had two years in a row they would be a sound investment!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Should really get a pair, 2010 with all the snow disruption up here, but undecided if winter tyres are better.

Winter tyres are better for the simple reason that they're designed specifically for cold, wet and snowy weather.
They're not the solution for every condition though, on packed ice they'll still struggle.

Chains are ok if you absolutely have no other choice.
Problem is though they eat tyres for breakfast, a guy at work came in with a set of snow chains on the other year and he couldn't be bothered to remove them once he'd got to cleared roads.
The result was fairly new tyres that looked like they've been eaten by giant rats, totally useless and dangerous after as well.

You also need to severely restrict your top speed with snow chains.
Might sound like a daft statement when your pulling out your iced up street, but on a cleared A road in rush hour sticking to below 30mph is likely to be more of a hazard than a help.

Ideally you want winter tyres with snow chains in the boot "just in case"

Lastly,
How you drive and your tyre pressures play a MASSIVE part in how much use your car is.
Last year i got stuck behind a few soft roaders on the slight hill behind my house, not one could make up it the incline.
So i got out my rear wheel drive MX5, a car not exactly known for it's winter traction, let out a LOT of air out the tyres, took and run up, kept a even throttle using the motors torque rather than revs and drove straight past them :lmao:

Best bet in terrible conditions though is to just stay in.
That way the roads are clear for those that NEED to go out and emergency services.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
shouldnt be using chains on cleard roads full stop. ruins tyres, chains and the road surface. but by far the best on snow and ice.

Problem is folks cant be bothered to get out of a warm dry car into the cold wet snow and remove them.
In places like Sweden and Canada once out of the cities it's not really a problem, but in Europe most our major roads are usually clear, so the reality is many folks would need to:
Fit snow chains at home
Drive to the main road
Remove snow chains
Drive to work, then on the way back do the exact same thing.

I witnessed a very bad crash on the Athens ring road a few years ago, an Audi overtook me with snow chains doing around 100mph.
Absolutely crazy, sparks were flying everywhere, then when he was around 700m in front he just drove straight into the central reservation.
The snow chain had failed and wrapped itself around the front strut causing the wheel to lock up.

Personally if it's bad enough for snow chains then i'll just not bother driving that day.
Problem is of course is when it snows badly when your already out.

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
Please learn how to fit snow chains! It's easy enough but it's also easy to get wrong.
stop a mile or so down the road to check and retighten them if needed.
In all country's in Europe it is an offence to drive with chains fitted on treated roads (UK is a fine and maybe points on your licence plus you insurance is voide) in most country's it's law to have a set off winter tyres.
ALL chains have a speed rating but if its bad enough to have chains fitted then you shouldn't be driving fast anyway (just think what a steel chain will do if it comes loss from a spinning wheel)
Be safe so you always make it home to your loved ones

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Please learn how to fit snow chains! It's easy enough but it's also easy to get wrong.
stop a mile or so down the road to check and retighten them if needed.
In all country's in Europe it is an offence to drive with chains fitted on treated roads (UK is a fine and maybe points on your licence plus you insurance is voide) in most country's it's law to have a set off winter tyres.
ALL chains have a speed rating but if its bad enough to have chains fitted then you shouldn't be driving fast anyway (just think what a steel chain will do if it comes loss from a spinning wheel)
Be safe so you always make it home to your loved ones

My dad used to wrap nylon rope around the tyre through the holes in the wheel rim. Probably couldn't do that with modern braking systems now but it was a really effective quick fix.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE