Lesser Celandine

Hi folks,
We've been digging up some lesser celandine from the garden, so I thought I'd have a nibble. I tried frying up the tubers, since I didn't have a fire to hand for roasting them in - downside was they were *massively* bitter.

Anyone had any celandine-related experience?

Cheers,
Guy

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I ate a couple of fresh green leaves earlier in the year and they were lovely and fresh.
What is the lowdown on celendine BTW. Are'nt some parts poisenous if not cooked??

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
from plants for a future...

Edible Parts: Leaves; Root.

Edible Uses: Condiment.

Young leaves in spring - raw or cooked as a potherb. The first leaves in spring make an excellent salad. The leaves, stalks and buds can be used like spinach, whilst the blanched stems are also eaten. The leaves turn poisonous as the fruit matures. Caution is advised regarding the use of this plant for food, see the notes above on toxicity. Bulbils - cooked and used as a vegetable. The bulbils are formed at the leaf axils and also at the roots[9, 183]. Caution is advised, see the notes above on toxicity. The flower buds make a good substitute for capers.

and the link...

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Ranunculus+ficaria

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Ray Mears suggests that you don't eat the tubers until the flowers have died and the leaves have turned yellow. This seems to make sense, because at that time the plant will have stored the maximum amount of sugar /starch in the tuber to tide it over until the next Spring, so maybe it won't be so bitter then. He also recommends boiling the tubers in two changes of water (which may remove some of the bitterness). I have loads of them in my garden, so I might try some now, and some once the leaves are dying.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I dug up a few Lesser Celandine this evening while weeding the garden and thought I'd better give them a go. The little bulbs grow in quite dense clusters, just below the surface. Although each bulb is very small, there are masses of them, with fairly large clusters to each plant, so it would be little effort to gather enough for a meal.

The bulbs can easily be pulled off the root mass to separate them from the mud and stalks but they do need a good clean after this. I got a good result by putting them into a tupperware container with some water and shaking them then draining off the water about half a dozen times. Once clean they are a nice creamy white colour.

celandine_01.jpg

I tried Ray Mears' suggestion of boiling them in two changes of water (i.e. put in cold water, bring to the boil, drain off and refill the pan then bring to the boil again). I was a little apprehensive after GuyH's experience (and that most of the food that RM describes as delicious I find very bitter) but I found them to be absolutely delicious with no hint of bitterness. Apart from their tiny size, they seemed to me to be almost exactly like minute boiled new potatoes - the same floury inside that bursts open when you bite through the skin.

celandine_02.jpg

I had to stop myself from eating too many, as this was the first time I had tried them and I wanted to wait a day to check I didn't react to them. If I'm OK then I must try RM's suggestion of frying them to make tiny chips. Of all the wild greens /roots that I have tried so far, only Lesser Celandine, Bittercress and Cornsalad fall into my category of food I enjoy eating.

Geoff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nicely done :You_Rock_

I like them, preferably roasted like mini mini baked potatoes when the skin and dirt and ash just slip off between your fingers and you can eat the nut, but they're lovely done in hot water like that too.

I don't know of any issues eating the starchy roots apart from the bitterness as the bulbs send up leaf and flower, but the leaves change through the year becoming inedible. The flower buds seem to be fine though.
I think of the leaves like wood sorrell, nice but don't take much.

I always save a few of the bulbs and scatter them somewhere else where they might thrive too.

cheers,
Toddy

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I always save a few of the bulbs and scatter them somewhere else where they might thrive too.

cheers,
Toddy

Not in my garden you don't! After clearing some of the high level foliage last year, the Celandines have gone mad and are threatening to take over from all my other plants.

Geoff :)

Wow! Thanks, folks!
I wasn't expecting such a response! :)
Mine were much smaller, Geoff - I guess I tried them a bit (/a lot...) too early. I figure I'll go and try some boiled, and will report back later. Lesser celandine has been given a temporary stay of execution whilst I try it out again...
Cheers!

Sep 19, 2010
Wiltshire
First to introduce myself as new to the thread. Also excuse my ignorance as I am still a foraging baby. On a bushcraft survival DVD I saw Ray Mears roasting the celandine roots (tubers?) under ashes. No preboiling there. But would that be the greater celandine? Does it make any difference?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Two entirely different plants, and yes, it does make a difference.

See post no.8 about roasting the lesser celandine :)

Greater celandine isn't used as a food plant, it's a medicinal plant. The juice is used to remove warts. It 'can' be made into a tisane, but needs careful forethought.

Welcome to the forum :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE