leatherwork. projects?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I apologise mods if this is in the wrong section.

been getting intae leathercraft. just recieved two massive boxes of thick veg tanned fae my mate amongst other leathers. have recieved some tools for my birthday:approve:.

now all i need are ideas, patterns, templates, tutorials, projects tae help me out with some basics. does anybody have any good online FREE resources i could tap intae?

so far iv just been watching some vids pon tandyleatheruk and searching these forums.

33118710150970712540444.jpg
vikingpouch.jpg

cheers
Hamish

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
if there is anything that i can ever help you with please don't hesitate to ask mate, also try british blades, there is some great tutorials on there in the leather carft section mate.
you tube there is some stuff on there to bud.
take care.
lee.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
if there is anything that i can ever help you with please don't hesitate to ask mate, also try british blades, there is some great tutorials on there in the leather carft section mate.
take care.
lee.

One question then - When you're putting in a holster for a fire steel do you scrive the leather thinner at the overlap so when it's stitched in you don't get a "bump"?

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
One question then - When you're putting in a holster for a fire steel do you scrive the leather thinner at the overlap so when it's stitched in you don't get a "bump"?
yes mate, or you can use a thinner leather to achive the same result, or use two welts, and that accomadates it also.
hope that helps mate.
letting all the trade secrets out now mate, lol.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
yes mate, or you can use a thinner leather to achive the same result, or use two welts, and that accomadates it also.
hope that helps mate.
letting all the trade secrets out now mate, lol.
i prefer to scive mine, as you still keep the 4 mill leather that wraps around the fire steel, it takes some practice to get it right tho mate, as you want the both sides to be equal if that makes sense, and to taper down.
a head knife is great for this, but needs to be very very sharp to get a nice clean cut.

Dreadhead

take care.
lee.

thankyou thats very kind. currently sewing up a small possibles pouch with my minimal tools.

heres a wee question that likely has two right answers. for marking my stitching lines is it better tae put a crease in, or an edge groove? iv been using thin leather so just using a fork tae put a crease along the edge. but for thicker leather im thinking a groove may make it much easier?

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
thankyou thats very kind. currently sewing up a small possibles pouch with my minimal tools.

heres a wee question that likely has two right answers. for marking my stitching lines is it better tae put a crease in, or an edge groove? iv been using thin leather so just using a fork tae put a crease along the edge. but for thicker leather im thinking a groove may make it much easier?
you are right mate, a stitch groover is an invaluble tool, not only does it help to keep you stitches in line, but the main reason for me, is that it beds the stitching down out the way, which helps with the life of tye sheath, as the stitches don't wear away, as when people make sheaths and have the stitching proud, it is only a matter of time with use before the stitches where away, and break, and then you have to start all over again.
take care.
lee.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
you are right mate, a stitch groover is an invaluble tool, not only does it help to keep you stitches in line, but the main reason for me, is that it beds the stitching down out the way, which helps with the life of tye sheath, as the stitches don't wear away, as when people make sheaths and have the stitching proud, it is only a matter of time with use before the stitches where away, and break, and then you have to start all over again.
take care.
lee.

+1 on that, Stitch groovers make life so much easier - especially when combined with an overstitcher wheel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE