Leather Novice

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys

Just got some Veg Tanned leather off ebay, I want to make a few things from it like a sheath for my new knife and a mask for my axe. Now my issue is that i dint know where to start regarding tools, i have a couple of awls one it i diamond shape and the other is round.

I want to get the right stuff for the job BUT i'm on a VERY tight budget ATM and cant afford the basic leather tool kit in the GB section. can you give me a clue as to the bare necesities i need to do what i want to?

any links and such would be appreciated

Thanks Dave

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
thread, bee's wax, needles.

To make a good sheath you will also need :

stich groover, stich marker, leather dye, edge kote, resoline or wax.

I can start you off on needles, bees wax and some thread. Just pop round im in mancheste too.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Budget alternatives....
Stitch groover - depress rather than gouge out the groove by getting an old fork and bending the right hand tine down a bit.
Soak the leather and run the fork around the edge pressing the remaining "normal" tine or tines into the leather and using the bent one as a guide by running it along the outside edge of the leather. One "normal" tine gives just the sewing groove, two gives the sewing groove and a decorative line as well.....I have a variety of old "Air France" 4 tine forks (nicked when you still got metal cutlery on planes!.

Stitch marker - go to your local haberdashery and get an embroidery tracing wheel (50p on our market stall) snip off every other tooth (easy done with wire cutters) and you get a good spacing for sewing leather with linen thread.

Awl - Blackspur red handled Awl (£1 in our local Pound shop) file to the shape you want.

Instead of Edge Cote wet the edge of your finished piece and burnish it with a smooth bit of wood, plastic, bone or glass (traditional method)

Instead of Dyes make a black dye for Veg tan by putting rust a (or iron tablets) in vinegar and then painting this onto the leather - used "strong" you get a pure black - used weak a kind of "field grey" or generic "dark" colour. finish it with a strong boot polish (ie Cherry Blossom" and it comes out a good "Dark Brown".

Finish your leather with a good boot wax or shoe polish (I find resoline makes for a "plastic" look). Botwax and sunlight on undyed leather gives a great "Light Tan" finish which I prefer to any dye.

Most haberdashers have linen thread in small amounts - some come complete with a needle!

If you are realy mean dip the end of the thread in superglue, allow it to harden, sharpen it on the side of a matchbox and you have a built in needle that lasts a fair while (this works best if you pre-drill the stitch holes!)

Burnishers and folders - the handle of a toothbrush can be cut and sanded to any shape and works well!

Bees wax - I got a couple of beeswax candles off a charity shop for pennies.

This is the kit I use - plus an edge beveller (propper one! you could just trim by eye with a sharp knife tough if you have a steady hand.... or just burnish the edges to a round profile) - for all my work.
I do have real stich markers - but I prefer my DIY model as the length is ideal for my wants!

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Brown dye and carnauba creme will set you back £5 or so. needles 80p or so,

Most expensive is the stich groovers and markers as they are around £7 a pop.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I used a dremel tool to cut a notch into a flat head screwdriver, works great as a edge beveller. All rights reserved blacksheep for this tip! :p

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
go to a crafting shop and buy a bone folder (plastic) it works just a well as a one 'for' leather, but costs £1.50

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That works a treat - almost as well as the bought version!
I cut a slot with the cutting disks, bevelled the back with a diamond cone (all on an Aldi Dremmel clone) and polished it up with a bit of wet and dry.
Now to go with my bought 2mm and 4mm I have a (aprox) 3mm!
A great tip!

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent

If you are realy mean dip the end of the thread in superglue, allow it to harden, sharpen it on the side of a matchbox and you have a built in needle that lasts a fair while (this works best if you pre-drill the stitch holes!)

This pretty much how it used to be done by cordwainers, but replace the superglue hardened end with a boar bristle rosined to the end of the thread. Metal needles are a fairly recent usage in leatherwork.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Like John said, I do have real stich markers - but I prefer my DIY model as the length is ideal for my wants!
Its all about the guy behind the tool that makes it work.

Topknot.

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Hi there,i am very interested in your leatherworking tools.
I am a greener in leatherworking,so would you be so kind to post some pics of your DIY tools?

cheers Theo

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Budget alternatives....
Stitch groover - depress rather than gouge out the groove by getting an old fork and bending the right hand tine down a bit.
Soak the leather and run the fork around the edge pressing the remaining "normal" tine or tines into the leather and using the bent one as a guide by running it along the outside edge of the leather. One "normal" tine gives just the sewing groove, two gives the sewing groove and a decorative line as well.....I have a variety of old "Air France" 4 tine forks (nicked when you still got metal cutlery on planes!.

Stitch marker - go to your local haberdashery and get an embroidery tracing wheel (50p on our market stall) snip off every other tooth (easy done with wire cutters) and you get a good spacing for sewing leather with linen thread.

Awl - Blackspur red handled Awl (£1 in our local Pound shop) file to the shape you want.

Instead of Edge Cote wet the edge of your finished piece and burnish it with a smooth bit of wood, plastic, bone or glass (traditional method)

Instead of Dyes make a black dye for Veg tan by putting rust a (or iron tablets) in vinegar and then painting this onto the leather - used "strong" you get a pure black - used weak a kind of "field grey" or generic "dark" colour. finish it with a strong boot polish (ie Cherry Blossom" and it comes out a good "Dark Brown".

Finish your leather with a good boot wax or shoe polish (I find resoline makes for a "plastic" look). Botwax and sunlight on undyed leather gives a great "Light Tan" finish which I prefer to any dye.

Most haberdashers have linen thread in small amounts - some come complete with a needle!

Burnishers and folders - the handle of a toothbrush can be cut and sanded to any shape and works well!

Bees wax - I got a couple of beeswax candles off a charity shop for pennies.

This is the kit I use - plus an edge beveller (propper one! you could just trim by eye with a sharp knife tough if you have a steady hand.... or just burnish the edges to a round profile) - for all my work.
I do have real stich markers - but I prefer my DIY model as the length is ideal for my wants!

this is really good stuff John,...

thankyou so much,...

i have 7 knives without sheaths at the moment,...

cheers

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE