Leather embossing

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi all,

I want to get my cartridge bag and shotgun slip embossed with my initials and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how I would do that? I've never done it before so I'd like to know how difficult it would be and if it's too difficult, could anyone on here do it for me?

Kind Regards,

Will

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Depends on the leather Will. For a decent emboss you need it to be veg tanned as chrome tanned leather is 'hard' and not easily malleable though it can be done but not so effectively.

You want to wet (case) the leather then press the design in with a embossing tool (small metal ball on a stick) or an old biro etc

Another option would to emboss a separate bit of leather and sew it on as a 'badge'

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Depends on the leather Will. For a decent emboss you need it to be veg tanned as chrome tanned leather is 'hard' and not easily malleable though it can be done but not so effectively.

You want to wet (case) the leather then press the design in with a embossing tool (small metal ball on a stick) or an old biro etc

Another option would to emboss a separate bit of leather and sew it on as a 'badge'

Ah now that's not a bad Idea, I could commission some leather elipses then have them stuck over the places I want them!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
How thick is the leather on your bags? - the 'patches' could be pre punched for stitching which would be a better way of fixing in my view.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Looks like it's screaming for a oval 'patch' on the buckles strap flap if that makes sense, can't think of a better way to describe it but you get the idea I'm sure.

This way it can be made separately and then stitched on by you - no need to worry too much about the stitching side.... it's more the case of dot-to-dot!

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Looks like it's screaming for a oval 'patch' on the buckles strap flap if that makes sense, can't think of a better way to describe it but you get the idea I'm sure.

This way it can be made separately and then stitched on by you - no need to worry too much about the stitching side.... it's more the case of dot-to-dot!

Well that was my thought yes......or I could remove the patches and send them to someone to emboss then sew them back on myself.....I'm a bit concerned about messing it up though!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I would think the bags are probably chrome tanned so adding a separate patch would be the way forward. It would be almost impossible to match the colour of the bag so a contrasting patch would also look good (in my opinion)

re messing it up..... I can see that as a concern, but with a pre punched patch which will help you mark where the holes need making, it would just be a case of 'poke the thread through the holes' like in one of those children's first sewing kits.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Then again looking at the gun slip it is lined with sheepskin which would add to the challenge....... perhaps your idea of glueing it on may be best. After all if it does start to come off you always have the backstop of sewing it on

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
They definitely look like good quality chrome tanned leather. Leather patches are the way to go though. I'd also recommend sewing them on rather than using adhesive.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE