Leather belt pouch (with stamping)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
(Please excuse my bad english :eek:)

Good evening, long time no see,

I want to show you the new belt pouch I just made. It's my first try in leather stamping although I worked with leather very often. The leather I used is oak tanned with a thickness of about 2 mm.

First you need a pattern, I have chosen the emblem of our german bushcraftportal: a squirrel with a figure eight knot with some celtic knot pattern around and two triskells. I directly cutted out the leather for to see the final result:

Projekt: punzierte Gürteltasche von wildhog9910 auf Flickr

I traced the pattern onto a transparent sheet:

The leather has to be a little moist, so the outlines could better traced with the ballpen. After that, the leather must dry, so you can cut the surface much easier:

The outlines are cutted onto the surface with the swivel knife. It will also worc with a small knife or a scalpel, but with a swivel knife its much easier and you can cut tighter radiuses:

Heres a little mistake I made: I used the same tool for tightening the outlines then for tracing, and had a bit of colour on it. So the colour is now on the leather surface:

Are all outlines cutted in, the leather has to be moistured for stamping from both sides. I guess I overacted it an it became too wet. If the leather ist too wet, the stampings will not last for a longer time.

The outlines where opened with an stitching awl:

The I have done the leather embossing with different tools. For the flap I didnt use any special stamping tools, just the modelling tool:

Even screwdrivers or similar tools are suitable for leatherstamping

At first I wanted to attach more knot figures on the flap, but I made a mistake on the drawing. I had luck, not to cut the patterns on the surface at this time. So I decided to attach a small dor pattern, for which I just pushed the ball pen onto the surface.

Here are the leatherparts ready for sewing. When the leather gets dry, the patterns will look a bit boring:

The little buckle is attached on a small leather thong. For the little loop I have sewn the edges stump together. The loop is slipped behind the buckle and secured with a seam.

These leather parts has to be attached first:

After that, I attached the belt loops:

For sewing I used Linen thread which I have drawn through a special wax. I often see guys, drilling holes through the leather and draw thick needles through it with nippers. It works, no question. But when you stitch through the (wet) leather just with an awl, and use little needles, you will get a more sturdy seam with less effort. Its like modern wood fastening and traditional carpenter skills... it works both.

Now I sewn the back part and the middle part together. The leather I used is a bit sturdy, so I had to moisture it while sewing. Sewing ist much easier when the leather is thinned out on the seams.

The front I stamped with leather tools:

When you attach the front you must be careful to begin on the same side than on the back as the whole pouch will get slope. After finishing the seams, the peaces can be formed with a folding leg.

For getting the bag more rustic I used swedish linseed oil to patinate. After that procedure, I greased the whole pouch with dubbin.

On the pictures the bag seems to look glossy but in fact it has a matt finish.

I hope you like it.

Cheers
Stefan

Looks great, what you going to put in it?
Thanks! I want to carry a firesteel with a piece of fatwood, some cordage, a small opinel, a sharpening stone and a lighter in it:

punzierte Ledergürteltasche von wildhog9910 auf Flickr

...and maybe a small tin of fishermans ^^

@greensurfingbear: I also made mistakes while doing this pouch, making mistakes is normal and without you cant make any experinces I think ;) The only mistake is, not to do the things you want to do (I hope you understand what I want to say, as my english is not the best)

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
This is beautiful mate. Very inspired to have a go myself now! A great write up as well, it would take me a week alone just to do a few paragraphs..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE