Learning axecraft

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
So i have been working my way through mors's book and having spent many 100's of hours learning to use and maintain my knife properly it was time to learn axecraft and luckily the local college runs a 6 week course that started today, so i thought i'd tell you guys a bit about it.

After the obligitary safety talk we were each given an old dull axe with damage to the blade and in need of a new haft and were shown how to fix these problems.

Starting with removing the handle which isn't an easy job then fitting a new one which took all of 3 hours.

Then we were shown how to file it etc The instructor seems very knowledgeable and as there are only 3 people doing the course it's good for learning, so on and of for 2 and a half hours we were filing away all the while the instructor was giving advice and making sure we weren't screwing the job up.

So after 5 and a half hours spent putting a new handle on and filing i've got an axe that just needs a few hours more work to be in useable condition.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I'm really impressed with the course.

I think it's also very good to be shown how to fix it first considering broken handles and chipping do happen, and tommorow we are going to be shown how to get a proper edge as so far i've only got the shape back.

I think it's important to get proper training or be shown how to use an axe by somoen with a fair amount of experience considering how dangerous a tool it is.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Its not in Elmwood is it?

10 points to the dude, how'd you know?

It's not Elmwood that do the course but it's done through Elmwood and at Elmwood if you get me.

I don't think forestry is done at Elmwood but it provides the courses for chainsaw tickets etc so thats possibly why there are forestry folks here.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I studied to be a Gamekeeper there :) They also did forestry and agriculture.

Bet its changed a fair bit though... I'm going back to £30 a fortnight, £10 to fill your boots on a fiday and get a bag of chips!

Last edited:
S

Shotgun

To have a hands on course would be pretty useful. I'm envious. For anyone who wants a little know-how, here's a PDF of the best instruction I've read on the subject. If you google "An Axe To Grind" you can get an HTML version. I'm relatively new here so forgive me if it's been posted before.
http://www.pcta.org/pdf/an_ax_to_grind.pdf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE