Larvae ID

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hoping the collective mind will be able to help here.

I have just "collected" these from my neighbours ceiling, i think, but, am by no means sure, that they are a type of Silk Worm as they leave a very fine gossamer thread behind them, what is also interesting is they have an aversion to light, by this i mean, if i face the bag they are in towards a window, they all turn round and head the other way, if i then turn the bag they are in 180 degrees so they face the light, they all turn round and head the other way again, ive tried it a couple of times and it works every time.

Larvae.jpg

Larvae2.jpg

Larvae3.jpg

Appreciate your help.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
They look like some form of clothes moth caterpillars to me. They will move away from light and many caterpillars can produce 'silk'.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think they are case-bearling clothes moth larvae. These are known to spin a silk case they carry with them.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yup, and she has some lovely woolen rugs, ive told her to get in touch with the pest control people at the Council and take their advice.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Clothes moths. Those need to be removed, and where you have a few there will be a great many more hiding somewhere nearby.

They like dark folds of fabric....so the pleated tops of curtains, inside the hems, undersides of rugs, folds of blankets, inside of woollen clothing :( :(

They are one of those beasts that if indoors I kill on sight. It's just not worth having them in your home at all.

M

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Think we might have found the source of the larvae:), she looked in a nearby cupboard to where the bulk of the larvae were seen and removed form, in said cupboard was a bag of loose peanuts that she bought from Pets At Home, the bag was crawling with larvae and you could clearly see where they had been eating the nuts, she will be going back to Pets at Home later to complain and get her money back.

Thanks for everyone's help - appreciate it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They could have gotten in anywhere. They'll eat stored food, peanuts are known to be one of their munchies, but it's the sleekit ones that she won't see that will do the damage.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE