Large Poplar Ladle

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I made a start on making myself a nice big ladle today, well i need something to serve up all those lovely home made soups and broths that we will be enjoying when the weather eventually turns colder.

DSCN0890.jpg

The ladle is carved from a piece of Poplar, the piece i used was a big branch with a nice side branch on it, the main branch became the handle and the side branch junction became the bowl of the ladle .

DSCN0862.jpg

I've only rough carved it today as the wood is very green, to the extent that you can see the moisture in the wood 'pool' ahead of the cutting edge when you are carving, before i can move on to some more refined shaping and ultimately onto the finishing cuts, I'm going to have to let this one dry out just a tad.

DSCN0858.jpg

Even though there is still a lot of work to do on this ladle, in my minds eye, i can already start to see the finished object, now what soup to christen it with?, decisions decisions

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Nice work as always Kepis. You've inspired me to start carving the poplar log i've got in the back yard this weekend :)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I'm liking that a lot! I hope to have a go at making something like that in the future as well. Your poplar sure looks different than ours.
Do you sand it to finish or just leave it as carved?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I'm liking that a lot! I hope to have a go at making something like that in the future as well. Your poplar sure looks different than ours.
Do you sand it to finish or just leave it as carved?

This one will be carved to a finish as it's going to be a user

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Oh Yes !
That is going to be a fantastic sight as it comes towards your bowl full of steaming soupy goodness! Nom Nom Nom!

First soup will have to be "Wild Vegetable".

Z

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Oh Yes !
That is going to be a fantastic sight as it comes towards your bowl full of steaming soupy goodness! Nom Nom Nom!

First soup will have to be "Wild Vegetable".

Z

Cheers chap, wild vege sounds good as well, might have to go a foraging next week:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE