Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can send you anhydrous lanolin but I've never heard of lanolin oil :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. the chemist will get the anhydrous stuff if you need it sharpish, they use for 'some' folks with eczema.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ahh, that makes sense.
There's a wash in stuff for woollen nappy covers that is brilliant for redoing woollens and Kemtex sell stuff for weavers, spinners, etc. that does the same thing.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It goes under the term "Wool Cure",
i.e. (Usual disclaimer.)
http://www.naturalchild.co.uk/acatalog/Imse_Vimse_Wool_Cure.html

Apparantly you can make your own using lanolin and pure soap, olive or castile preferred, but I'd need to find out how.
Over doing the ordinary fabric conditioner works quite well too, bit perfumy though :rolleyes:

Kemtex (usual disclaimer, again, but I use them and happily recommend)
http://www.kemtex.co.uk/auxprods.htm
sell a fibre lubricant by the litre. Worth while phoning them and asking for advice.

cheers,
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've bought wool conditioner from ebay before, and its quite good stuff. You have to stand the bottle in boiling water for 10 mins to get it out the bottle, then mix it up in water and soak your fabrics. I used it to showerproof a large blanket, and I needed 2/3rds of the bottle for this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250204966675

(Same stuff - different seller)

You can also buy pure lanolin from African Hairdressers (its used a lot as a conditioner for dreadlocks):

http://www.assensual.co.uk/dax100purelanolinsuperhairconditioner-p-169.html

EdS

Cheers.

Only problem with the hair stuff is that it is 100% pure lanolin in a mixture of other oils and petrolium jelly.

Wool Cure looks intersting.

The other advantage of lanolin oil is that if you wash woollens in it and use no soap/detergent (soap flakes bad for wool by the way) it lifts the dirty out as well and putting the natural oils back.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
any idea of what they are called?

When I say lighter it is still a heavy oil rather than very thin oil like domestic veg oils. Guess more like gearbox (EP90) oil thickness.

Damn that comparision confirms I psent to much time under Land Rovers.

And dont you just love the smell of EP90's, 80'S ATF, Dextron ahhhhhh!:eek:

Nothing better than the smell of warm old diff oil to stir the memories.

Sorry, totaly off subject I know.:offtopic: :sulkoff:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
can anyone explain how's soap flakes bad for wool ? I've just weshed my swannie with them...then a soap free handwesh cycle
cheers

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Lanolin? Jees, that stuff's like catnip for death adders! Used to visit a scouring plant near Fremantle, and the place was crawling with the b'stards. Never been so scared in my life!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
can anyone explain how's soap flakes bad for wool ? I've just weshed my swannie with them...then a soap free handwesh cycle
cheers

Soap should be ph neutral (BR would know) but it's really kind of alkaline, and wool really is best in slightly acidic conditions....like our hair and skin.

So long as you've washed the residue out fairly well, it'll be fine.

Soap's actually used to get lanolin into wool when redoing the proofing.

cheers,
Toddy

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
cheers Toddy, i used pure flakes, left it to hang dri in bathroom. now im wanderin if i should put it through the wesh again but leave aht the siap and use some conditioner to help with the natural properties ?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Would this lanolin oil work for re-proofing cotton?

My new cotton dustsheets for work smell like they are treated with lanolin. It makes them quite waterproof when new(water sits in puddles for hours on them), paint doesn't soak through and they shed the dust easily. When they get machine washed, they become absorbant.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Chiseller, tbh I'd just leave it now until it needs washed again. Honestly, it should be fine.

Teepee, it might be lanolin but I think it's more likely one of the fabric treatment agents used in the weaving process that's just been left in.
Cloth like that is called Loom State; means they haven't washed it after weaving and it's got the machine oils, fibre lubrication oils and the like still in it.

Wash in proofing agent for outdoor clothing should work on your dustsheets; the lanolin wool conditioner will work too, but it's a bit of a footer and it doesn't work out cheap.

cheers,
Toddy

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks Toddy :)

I did a test on a piece of muslin with TX direct, its nowhere as waterproof as the sheets I use. It would be great to find out what they specifically use, might be of some use for reproofing other gear too-its survives all manner of solvents, detergents and heavy wear and still makes very open weave cotton waterproof .

I've got well over a hundred sheets to do, sounds like treating them will cost more than the sheets did to buy! :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ooh, maybe not then :sigh:
Somewhere I have a bottle of fibre lubrication......it's the stuff that's put into 'oiled' wool. I'm wondering if that might work ?

cheers,
M

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
ooh, maybe not then :sigh:Somewhere I have a bottle of fibre lubrication......it's the stuff that's put into 'oiled' wool. I'm wondering if that might work ?cheers,M
Ah. So oiled wool isn't wool with the lanolin left in or wool treated with lanolin?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE