Ladybank wood in Fife

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Went there today was pretty good.

For the first time ever i made a fire and boiled water and cooked my noodles on one. Truly is a great feeling when you have gathered the materials to make fire, light it then cook using it.

I initially tried using pine resin as tinde, however i could not get it to light this way( i use a ferro rod and my knife) after trying for 20 mins i took out my lighter to light it but it broke. Which turned out to be a good thing as i wanted a ciggy but had no lighter. Then i realised i couldn't get the pine resin lit. So i gathered a pile of bracken and lit that with a spark. Which i'm proud of. Why didn't the pine resin work? What other tinders can i use in the woods? Iknow a few but i want to practice using a lot of different ones with my ferro rod.

Also i tried to make charcloth in my fire but when i opened the tin it was pretty much like burned paper. Why wouldn't this have worked?

Apart from that i learned something new and practiced a skill so i'm happy with today's excursion

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I used to live near where you are but I cant remember using the woods in Ladybank. I used to use the woods up the hill from the turn off to Freuchie. (The turn off under the rail bridge). Go to the top of the hill and turn left, there is a good section of beech / mixed woodland here.

Another area is Star Moss however as it is a SSSI I never used to have a fire. its a good area for collecting big Horses Hoof fungus / birch bark and going for a bimble.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE