laburnum and silver not very bushcrafty

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Just sending these two off to a customer and took some photos for Goldsmiths magazine before they go. The laburnum photographs really nicely. The first one is a mazer or medieval drinking bowl (bowl 5.5" diameter), the second a quaich, a Scottish vessel especially for whiskey drinking (bowl 3.5"). These ones are off to Wales.

goldsmiths4e.jpg

goldsmiths3e.jpg

goldsmiths2e.jpg

goldsmiths6e.jpg

goldsmiths7e.jpg

Bit more info about our mazers in an article here

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/localnews/Craftsmen-with-much-to-Crowe.4287937.jp

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I thought that Laburnum was poisonous? Or is this another Sais attack on the Welsh?
Looking very nice though!

The Seeds and flowers contain a lot of toxin, the bark a little but there is no record of toxin being found in the wood and it is not listed in the standard work Hausen, Bjorn (1981). Woods injurious to human health

I have a lengthy report from Kew on whether or not it is toxic if you would like more detail. PS no interest in doing for one of my favorite collectors, just cos he is Welsh. ;o)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dammio bach! - what a relief!
It looks so nice that I would hate to think it was only for show.....
I hope your friend uses it in good health!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
The Seeds and flowers contain a lot of toxin, the bark a little but there is no record of toxin being found in the wood and it is not listed in the standard work Hausen, Bjorn (1981). Woods injurious to human health

I have a lengthy report from Kew on whether or not it is toxic if you would like more detail. PS no interest in doing for one of my favorite collectors, just cos he is Welsh. ;o)

I'd be interested to see the report from Kew, my brother ate quite a quantity of the flowers when younger, recovered fine though.

I like the look of the wood, I have a couple of large laburnums nearby that I might cut a bit off after seeing that.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Here more info ( specific to woodworking ) on toxic woods - no mention of Labernum

link

PS - Robin, Any chance of a photo of the base / underside of them pieces ?? - Just an interested fellow turner ( although i use a m powered lathe !! )

Loz

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hi Loz, sorry they have gone off int he post but the bases of all my pieces are the same, slightly concave so it sits nicely on the edge of the base and then the centre 1" diameter bit where the lathe centre was is just cleaned off with a few strokes of a spoon knife across the grain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE