kuksa couple

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi there, wanted to share with you my first efforts of making kuksa's. I have made two by now, the first one is from apple, second from lime... both are made from half seasoned wood. Lime one is not yet finnished as I want to dry it first before final finish.

1.JPG

2.JPG

6.JPG

so how do you like them?

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Lime vas very easy to carve. But I must say, though apple one took me twice as much time I would still go for it next time. The colors are awesome, and you can feel that wood is rock hard. A lot of work, but the process itself is a great joy.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Beautiful and practical - doesn't get much better than that does it?

Well done Milius, I've still got to attampt my 1st.

ATB

Kim

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Stu, thanks. Me too. I still have a few pieces of apple left. Definetly more of it will be carved out later on.

Kim, you're right mate. :)

Thanks everyone.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
The apple one is a fantastic colour. Oddly enough, they've just cut down some apple trees near where I live.
I have made a kuksa before, but they never seem to hold enough - 200ml at best. Which isn't enough.
I keep meaning to make another, at least 400ml capacity, but never quite get round to it. Maybe next time I'm out for a walk and pass that apple orchard...

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I'll check the capacity when they're both finished. 400ml seems a lot to me, that's quite a thing to pack... ;)

Robby, I'm sure you'll do just fine ;)) thanks

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
they look stunning

i love the finish of the finished one,...too much "faffing" and they can look a bit factory,...

i,m that taken by the way they sit together ,im now looking for two differing colours of wood to make a pair,..for ornimental use i reckon,..

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
These look amazing, good job! The apple one is a great colour! I've always wanted to make one, just another thing to add to the "to be made" list :D

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Thanks, Stu, Bushcraftsman. They have been on my "yo do list" for a year, now I'm happy and will do something else. Maybe a knife or a flint and steel kit. Cheers guys for great comments! :)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I'm done sanding it. Now to linseed oil. How does this sort of coating takes heat? I want to use them for tea aswell, can I do that?

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I seems most oils even when cured release some into your tea. I oil them the first time then just rinse out after using. If using linseed oil, go for a food grade type.:) Kuksas look good by the way.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Very nice mate! Apple is great wood to get stunning results with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE