Kuala Lumpur, Sabah and Ho Chi Minh - Anything to look out for

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Hey, in a weeks time I am going to Malaysia for a holiday. The places I am visiting are Kuala Lumpur (where I am staying with my girlfriends relatives), Sabah for a nice spot of scuba diving and then popping over to Vietnam aswell where I believe I am going on a package tour including the Vietkong tunnels, war factories, craft villages, and taking a tour of the Mekong river and tasting seasonal fruits apparently (Whens Durian in season? Ha Ha Ha).

Anyway, the point of this thread is not to make anyone jealous, however as a request for advice on what to look out for whilst I am over there. I will be with people local to KL so I'm sure they will have some great things to show me, however I want to see if there are any bushcrafty things to look out for?

Cheers :)

satosato

Forager
May 29, 2009
London
I spent many years in Singapore and Malaysia when I was young, how long will you be in Sabah for? We used to go to the tropical jungle in Sarawak and spent days camping.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I won't really be deviating from them places. I'd love to visit sarawak one day though. I suppose I'm just wondering if there are any common sights, food, goods or wildlife I should pay extra attention to look out for on my journeys.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Durian is probably best in July unfortunately, so you will just have to bring me back some durian cake instead (if the airline will let you!)

Get yourself a decent, locally made machete whilst you are there. I brought back a carved blowpipe and darts from Sarawak (made for the tourist trade from sections of bone so it would collapse down to go into a suitcase but it looks good on the wall.)

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
last time I was in malaysia visiting inlaws we went to Sarawak and visited Bako national park. WOW. also they is a outdoor museum with all the types of traditional buildings and people showing tribal skills. Had a cracking time learning how to aim a blow pipe.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Most of my trip is already planned, so I was just looking for ideas on what to look out for whilst I am over there. A trip to or night in the jungle would be absolutely amazing however I'm not sure it'd tie in with the rest of the group. Cheers for the offer though :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE