Kit list anyone?

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Hi all,

Was wondering if any of you have any equipment lists, or links to lists for an expedition in around an African environment or in a Jungle environment. I have looked around the internet but thought it would also be good to ask actual people instead.

Many thanks,

Your local Survivor.

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
I've never been to sub-Saharan Africa, so I can't help you with that side of things, but I've done a fair amount of jungling in Asia and the Amazon. In fact, I've just come back from an eight-day trek in the mountains of northern Sumatra. Here's what I took for a trek that started at about 1,400m and went up to 2,900m:

57l hard-wearing backpack (Crux AK57)
3-man tent + footprint (Hilleberg Saivo)
sleeping mat (Thermarest Prolite Plus, reg)
sleeping bag (British Army jungle issue)
change of clothes plus a selection of drybags
rainjacket (The North Face Zero)
3m x 2.5 tarp (Terra-Nova Tarp 2)
Beanie hat
Head torch (Pietzl Tikka 2 Plus)
knife (locally made)
emergency blanket
whistle
bar of soap
small bottle of shampoo
several cigarette lighters
8 packs of fags, pus a load of loose tobacco (always handy in the jungle, even if you're not a smoker)

It was a three-man trip and I ended up carrying the tent, but none of the cooking kit or food. This was a good deal for my guides but a bad deal for me as I started with the heaviest bag and it never got any lighter.

To complete the kit, one of the guys carried our cooking kit - a cooking pot for rice and water, a wok, three plastic cups, five plastic plates, a rice paddle and a couple of spoons. Between the three of us we had four machetes, a spear and a couple of smaller knives. The rest was food.

I've been doing this for any years now and

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
I was going to leave it at that (I thought I deleted that last bit) but now that I've started I might as well finish. Back in the day all we took was 6m of plastic sheeting, a flattened cardboard box for a sleeping mat and a machete.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Thanks Catfish1972, all info is very precious, I will place it in my internal database (brain).

Sounds like a quare adventure. May I ask where else you have been?

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
Mostly northern Sumatra - I keep going back to the same two villages to start my treks. It is a strange feeling to walk over a fallen log and remember when it fell 17 years ago!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE