Kilner jars are back

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You don't need a microwave - but you do need to heat jam to get it to set. Setting levels depend on pectin, but you can check by spooning some on a cold plate. A saucepan or jam pan is the more traditional way that I use (allows big batches too)

Jarring in a heated jar and sealin when warm prevents bacterial action

Red

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Well we baked the jar in the oven first, and set it by testing on a regular basis.

WHat interests me more is being able to jar currys and pasta sauces and things more of that nature, so that all you need to do is buy the meat and your good to go.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
What a truly lovely thread!

I'm delighted by others who are embracing these "old skills" and finding the quiet pleasure in them. They - a bit like bushcraft - are endless in variety and fasciantion.

Beware though.

"I'm just making some jam and pickled onions - I can quit anytime I like - its just a social thing"

Then somene sidles up to you at a party and mouths "wanna try some home made mustard?"

Before you know it you are making lye sticks, building clamps for your root vegetables and debating the merits of truning the garden shed into a cold smoking room

:D

Its absolutely superb fun - I really reccomend making your own vinegar too - so simple and so satisfying

Red

So tell us how do you make your own vinegar? is it a brewing type process? Bye the bye did anyone see the tv programme who do you think you are ? where jeremy clarkeson ( top gear) found he was decended from the kilner who made his fortune making kilner jars?
and hang on .... whats a lye stick??

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay - theres an article somewhere on how to make your own vinegar that I did - and how to make a litmus solution to test its strength :)

A lye stick is a device made to float upright in the correct strength of lye (made from wood ash) to make soap at home

8th sinner - some foods need pressure canning, some don't. This is partly down to whether they are acid or ot (acidity inhibits bacterial action). The pressure canner kills the bacteria where they would otherwise potentially spoil food and cause things like botulism.

To can things like sauces is very possible - but some do need pressure canning.

The best reference work is Balls Blue Book I believe (try Amazon). Weaver or one of our US members may be able to give more insight

Red

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
What a truly lovely thread!

I'm delighted by others who are embracing these "old skills" and finding the quiet pleasure in them. They - a bit like bushcraft - are endless in variety and fasciantion.

Beware though.

"I'm just making some jam and pickled onions - I can quit anytime I like - its just a social thing"

Red

!!! OMG! I'm an addict!

Mind you, could be worse...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Don't know how many of you have read The Fat Of The Land by John and Sally Seymore but my mother lent it to me recently and he covers quite a bit about using Kilner jars to preserve tomatoes through the winter.
You don't have to picke them or use masses of sugar either, you can just heat them up and use water if you do it right.
Its a good book and details some of the problems they encounter when starting out being self sufficiant.

His New Complete Guide to Self Sufficiency is practically the bible for those wishing to be less tied to the supermarkets and is worth every penny IMO.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I agree that all Seymores work is seminal (despite the reality of their rural idyl and separation).

Carla Emery's Encylopaedia of Country Living is more US focussed and does a lot on "canning"

How nice to hear so many people are into these skills. I must admit I spend more and more time on these gentle, simple things - from growing my own mustard seed to plaiting or own garlic. In fact I see myself more as a "homesteader" than a "Bushcrafter"

I don' post much of our stuff in this area as its not really "Bushcraft" - but perhaps there is a place for it here if we like it...more "log cabin dwelling" than "forging a trail" ?

Red

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I agree that all Seymores work is seminal (despite the reality of their rural idyl and separation).

Carla Emery's Encylopaedia of Country Living is more US focussed and does a lot on "canning"

How nice to hear so many people are into these skills. I must admit I spend more and more time on these gentle, simple things - from growing my own mustard seed to plaiting or own garlic. In fact I see myself more as a "homesteader" than a "Bushcrafter"

I don' post much of our stuff in this area as its not really "Bushcraft" - but perhaps there is a place for it here if we like it...more "log cabin dwelling" than "forging a trail" ?

Red

I wouldn't complain too hard if this place had an alotment and self sufficiency sub forum, always seemed a natural progression grow a bit of your own food if possible to me.
Perhaps not all the way like Seymore did but every bit helps.
My lovely wife has got an alotment (got no real garden here and even if we did the dog would leave eggs all over it) this year but slightly too late for most of the season, we are just pottering about getting it sorted for next year mostly and planting some odds and sods.
I'll look out for that Carla Emery's Encylopedia of Country Living book, cheers for the heads up.

Scott.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE