kids tracking games?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for games or activities to introduce kids (aged 8 to 11) to tracking or reading sign? I guess anything that gets them to tune in to their surroundings would help...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
happy camper said:
hello :)
just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for games or activities to introduce kids (aged 8 to 11) to tracking or reading sign? I guess anything that gets them to tune in to their surroundings would help...any help would be greatly appreciated!

See if you can get hold of some of the older Scout handbooks; I was an Akela over twenty five years ago and we did a fair amount of this then.
Don't think it's as easy for leaders to just take a pack of cubs off into the woods for the evening just because the weather's nice, anymore :( Cubs were 8 to 11 years old so it ought to suit.

Cheers,
Toddy

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
One thing that kids seem to find facinating - Animal Poo. :rolleyes:

Last year my 7 year old asked what the 'white marbles' were as we crossed a rabbit infested field. Now she can recognise deer, rabbit, dog, cat, fox and badger poo - and give an approximate amount of time since the animal left it.

From poo, we progressed onto footprints in mud, sand, soil. Dogs and horses are her favorites on this - she like to guess the size of the animal. These animals also leave very visable prints that are easier for a child to see.

I've got her 'pretending to be the animal' at the moment when we're in the woods, so she can understand how the animal moves. Small branches held on top of the head catch on low tree limbs, so she's discovering antler scrapes.

Woodland hide and seek and 'Sneaking up on Dad/Uncle/Grandad' are great for developing stalking skills.

I also use 'What does this mean?' and 'What happened here?' to get her to think things through herself - and I do this in the woods, backgarden, walking down the street.

Finally, we sit and watch my parents dog and cat, and she watches the rabbits in her other grandad's garden to get an understanding of how opportunist, predator and prey animals, respectively, move and interact with the environment around them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE