Kids at Delemere meetup.

S

shaunmcdonald

After looking at the Delemere list of possible attendees and seeing how many might be taking children i wondered if it would be a good idea to try and do some activities with them for a few hours. I wouldnt mind doing abit as my 2 will be there anyway. Im not talking about anything serious bushcraft like useing knives etc. But something along the lines of making a sapling bow like im sure most of us used todo as kids in the woods.
I used to landrover trial some years ago and there was always alot of bored kids by the end of a days trial and this is something that used to gravitate to our area of the site as my child always had parents with a fire and marshmallows :)

Some ideas that have been done before.

Treasure hunts - better to have teams as the older ones help the little ones etc.
Making something - not sure what would be appropiate. ( the bow is just an idea )
Team games maybe.
Scavenger hunts - Teams again and have to find, beg, Borrow items on a list.

Just an idea anyway let me know what you think.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My eldest like to follow tracks from animals, nothing too complicated, a horse shoe in the sand and she knows which way it travelled as she knows which is the toe end. Something similar could be done, although I'm not sure exactly how to do it so that they go to a predestined place. Maybe one of us could tie some horse shoes onto out boots and set off five minutes before the kids?!!

S

shaunmcdonald

Now thats a good idea maybe not just horse shoes but a track that could be shown in some soft ground before they set off. Abit like a paper trail with the paper :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Also, if things could be put in trees and bushes to stop them looking just at the floor, that would be cool. Say they have to spot as many "lost" bushcrafting items as possible. I tend to find my kids look mainly at the floor when out and about, I am always getting them to look up as they miss all sorts. Also, I teach them "quiet feet, quiet mouths" when stalking an animal, they love trying to get real close but it took some time to get them to realise what I was trying to help them achieve!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Building a debris shelter may be a good bit of fun for kids, especially if they have a chance to sleep in it! My eldest helped make two back in germany and slept in one one night. She seemed to enjoy it.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Now thats a good idea maybe not just horse shoes but a track that could be shown in some soft ground before they set off. Abit like a paper trail with the paper :)

I can set up a sand trap a couple of days before the meet if I get a chance, otherwise I will be there on Friday day to do it. There is a path that is well travelled by horses next to the site so this could be used as an introduction too.
I need to check but should be able to have a couple of canoes there to use, and can do some coaching for a couple of hours and we could do some raft building on the lake too.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My kids are really excited now:red:

They like debris shelter idea especially.

Idea for the treasure hunt, is tie clues to certain trees and plants. The clues would be obvious but help with ID skills or orienteering skills. Some thing like " When is a WILLOW not a tree, when its a HERB! Ten metres south along the path look for the tall pink flowers." The plant would have a ID and the next clue tied to it. You take one leaf and move on to the next clue. Everyone gets to find the chocolate money tree at the end.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
My kids are really excited now:red:

They like debris shelter idea especially.

Idea for the treasure hunt, is tie clues to certain trees and plants. The clues would be obvious but help with ID skills or orienteering skills. Some thing like " When is a WILLOW not a tree, when its a HERB! Ten metres south along the path look for the tall pink flowers." The plant would have a ID and the next clue tied to it. You take one leaf and move on to the next clue. Everyone gets to find the chocolate money tree at the end.

Cool I like it. My kids (including Nat :lmao: ) also love the idea of the raft building. I'll bring some rope.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No, I'm serious! I think it is some sort of punishment device for Scouts who won't go to sleep at night! "Right, ten laps of the assault course you little bleeders!":D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
No, I'm serious! I think it is some sort of punishment device for Scouts who won't go to sleep at night! "Right, ten laps of the assault course you little bleeders!":D

The "low ropes course" we can use that with no problems but it needs to be supervised by a responsible adult, so we may struggle to find one at a meet!

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
I have got a couple of nice ex's i picked up at an raf camp involving rope one of them is this:
Find a tree which any good local market will have :)
Get a pretty big peice of rope, Going round the tree .
The kids have to tie a reef knot but as soon as they touch the rope with a hand theyve got to keep hold of it.
My description skills aint that great lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE