Kid got wolfed down

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Members of canidae will interbreed under population stress. While wolves always kill coyotes, there is one known specimen of a cross. Over here we have the infamous 'coy-dog' cross. For some reason Collies are the most common documented cross ( I always thought Lassie was a hussy and fraud, especially when I learned she was a male actor and there were dozens :shock: .) These animals are extremely dangerous. I've learned that any coyote sporting any unusual or bright pelage or heavier body structure is probably a coydog and to be avoided or destroyed ASAP. In the end they are wild animals and to be respected. We have managed to breed much more dangerous monstrosities anyway. The splendid pitbull was once the most popular breed in america. Now they a very dangerous animal due to selective breeding for illegal fighting. Again, we put our own anthropomorphic values on a world that never got the word. I knew the late Timothy Treadwell. He imposed his own view on bears. Many people who also care about bears were very concerned about the false message he was sending out. Tim and his girlfriend found out rather abruptly the truth.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Pete E said:
Greg,

In the case of the woman in Australia, she was intially convicted but cleared at a later date. I believe they actually made a film about it..

Regards,

Pete

'Picnic at hanging rock'

Cheers,
Simon

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I was stationed in Warminster Wiltshire when that little girl who was killed by her step dad went missing back in 98' - anyway the army helped the police search. When her body was found it was actually in a badgers set and had partly been eaten.

Now no-one would have said the badgers (and we know they didnt) did it but it is easy to see how a wolf, or any other large predator, in a similar situation could easily cop the blame!

Makes you wonder!

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Gary,

Thats a good point. Another case was that British woman who was murdered while on hoilday in Kenya a few years back. The Kenyan authorities said she had been taken by a lion, but he father, an ex policeman did not believe them.

It took him quite a while and a lot of pressure to get the case re investiated properly, but eventually one or more Kenyan Game wardensfrom the park where she was killed were convicted.

Regards,

Pete

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Good old Humans hey!!!! Not only are we doing our level best to use up all the animals habitats.....we're also now blaming them for crimes committed by us (collectively, I'm not saying anyone here is a criminal).....

Humans...don't you just love us! mmmmooooooowwwwww!!!!! :boot:

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
jakunen said:
And it's not just a modern thing either. Anyone remember the story of Beddgelert?

I used to get really cross whenever I heard that story - how can you think ill of your faithful hound?

Course, now I'm a dad I reckon Llewelyn should be locked up for leaving his nipper home alone - I mean, what would the social think if I left my kids at home with the cat looking after them :?: Just cos I'm not a prince :roll:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Oh somebody tell me this story or post me a link....you're all chating and I don't know what you're talking about...... :cry2:

So far I've managed to work out it has a dog, a cat, a welsh prince and maybe a wolf along with a small boy!!!!

jakunen

Native
Ok, are we sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...

I can't remember the exact story but it ran along the lines of...

A Welsh prince went out hunting or carousing, can't remember which, and left his son alone in his crib (no maids, no mother) with his faithful hound.

Several hours later he returns home to find the house a mess and his son missing from crib and his dog smothered in blood. Cue vengeful father cleavign dog in two with sword.

Hark! What's that sound? A baby crying? Said father then finds baby unhurt and a wolf torn to bits by the dog.

He then broke down in tears and commanded a monument to be built in the hounds honour.

(Fantastic camp site btw).

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ahhhh, that's really sad....can't help thinking of my doggy now!!! Wish I hadn't asked! That'll teach me not to hassle people to tell me stories!!!

:cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

jakunen

Native
Yeah it was a sad story, but it just goes to show the importance of not jumping to conclusions.

Which is just as important in bushcrafting...

"But look, the deer are eating without any problem so it must be safe...". Neenawneenaw...

"The water is absolutely gin clear. It's perfectly safe to drink". Guy doesn't check upstream to see dead sheep...

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Gee, I had to learn that story at my C of E private school instead of reading Spiderman comics :roll: At least he wasn't irish! The national hero Sedanta killed his future laird's guard dog and had to replace him for a year, sitting at the door in collar known as Cu'chullain :rolmao:

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
jakunen said:
Ok, are we sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...

I can't remember the exact story but it ran along the lines of...

A Welsh prince went out hunting or carousing, can't remember which, and left his son alone in his crib (no maids, no mother) with his faithful hound.

Several hours later he returns home to find the house a mess and his son missing from crib and his dog smothered in blood. Cue vengeful father cleavign dog in two with sword.

Hark! What's that sound? A baby crying? Said father then finds baby unhurt and a wolf torn to bits by the dog.

He then broke down in tears and commanded a monument to be built in the hounds honour.

(Fantastic camp site btw).

The dog's name was Gelert , there 's a rather large granite stone lying over his grave at Beddgelert, last time I related that story was to a lady on the beach at Blackgang Chine on the Isle of Wight she was accompanied by the biggest Wolfhound I've ever seen, one of the favourite stories of my childhood :super:

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Its a nice story but its a Victorian fabrication that was meant to draw tourists to the area.....

OK we have talked about animals having the rough end of the stick with man, what about the other way around...

Ever heard of the Champawat Man Eater?

This was a man eating tiger which account for 436 known human kills in Nepal and India over several years before it was killed by Jim Corbett in around 1907 :shock: :shock:

Regards,

Pete

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Gary said:
10 year old Turkish boy was eaten by a wolf - his father found the body.

Interesting, wonder if the attack was prevoked?

Do we blame the wolf? Personally I'd say no, but I'd like to hear more details if anyone finds them.

:biggthump in advance.

I'm amazed there are any wolves left in Turkey. I went there years ago on an exped, up in the Taurus Mountains, and the locals had effectively exterminated anything other than there own animals (cattle, sheep) - it didn't matter whether it flew or ran, it was all fair game as far as they were concerned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE